FM - Thirteen - Review
Posted by: steel jockey ()
Date: March 18, 2022 03:44AM

A song by song review of the new FM album.

01. Shaking The Tree - A slow burning semi bluesy number. Quite a big keyboard sound. Overland sounds like his usual self. Sounds more like a mid album track than an opener. Nice guitar solo towards the end.

02. Waiting On Love - A more classic sounding FM track but again no real big energy as the tempo is reduced. The chorus is much better than the opening track. Nice backing harmonies.

03. Talk Is Cheap - Again it's got that smooth blues vibe going on. The riff in this one is quite rocking and 'heavy' as far as FM goes. Overland gets to flex his crooning blues voice in this one. I don't like blues much but the chorus on this one is really good and better than the previous two.

04. Turn This Car Around - One of the recent singles. Eh it's ok at least a little more uptempo after the slower previous 3 tracks. More classic FM sounding at least. Not fully in love with it but it's a toe tapper at least.

05. Love And War - Got the country rock tinge for this blues based semi rocker. There is a pretty heavy riff that kicks in and you think they might rock it out but they strip it back until the chorus when the guitars come back in. The chorus on this one is a bit of a let down. This is the type of modern day FM track I'm just not into.

06. Long Road Home - Another slow country tinged ballad. Not my cuppa I'm afraid.

07. Be Lucky - A little better in the tempo with a steady beat and a thimping bass line with Steve crooning for all his worth. The chorus has nice vocal harmonies and is decent but fairly average in the end but this is a better track for me than the previous two at least.

08. Every Man Needs A Woman - A nice riff kicks this blues rocker in. TYpical of modern day FM really. THe verse riff uses the stop start feel of many of their recent songs. I actually quite like this one. A pretty rocking tune that grooves along pretty well. Tasty solo too.

09. Just Got Started - This one's a touch different as it uses 80s sounding synthetic drum beats without quite being synthwave because the tempo is slow. I would've actually like this style if they speeded it up a touch. The chorus on this one is pretty cool though. It still has that groove riff they love so much mixed with that 80s beat. A decent track mixing old and new.

10. Fight Fire With Fire - There's beeen a few songs with that title over the years! The tempo is a mid pace for this one with a strong keyboard element before the song settles down during the verses with more keys and less guitars. This song reminds me of a mid 80s soundtrack for a chick flick. The chorus comes along and it's a pretty good one and a nice harmony repeat of the title. This one teleports us back to 1985-6 and watching all those films we used to watch with those cheesy 80s sundtrack keys and effects. A cool tune.

11. Be True To Yourself - The final track sees the band using a regular chunky mid tempo formula that they've used many times before. A simple and oft repeated chorus too. It's a good song but nothing earth shattering on which to leave the listener with.

Overall thoughts. This is a good and typical latterday FM album. I definitely don't love it though as too many of the songs sound quite similar and lack a little spark. FM fans should of course try the album for themselves and make their own minds up. My rating for this album is 7.5/10 possibly an 8 if I'm generous but I'll stick with 7.5/10. A good but unspectacular FM album with solid performances from all and a pristine production.

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
FM - Thirteen - Review475 steel jockey 03/18/2022 03:44AM
Re: FM - Thirteen - Review 268 Terry K. 03/18/2022 04:12AM
Re: FM - Thirteen - Review 247 adolfo 03/18/2022 04:38AM
Re: FM - Thirteen - Review 203 Terry K. 03/18/2022 07:23AM
Re: FM - Thirteen - Review 174 seventhsea 03/19/2022 03:44AM
Re: FM - Thirteen - Review 150 Terry K. 03/19/2022 04:07AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.