Studio vocal autotune & info tutorial
Posted by: Robby Lane ()
Date: June 22, 2011 02:29AM

I tend to post my share of rants about auto-tune abuse and the infiltration of computer-based effects and techniques that remove the human feeling (or soul) from a song. I am not at all against the use of a Mac's or PC's for recording song tracks. It is economic, generally efficient, and offers a good clean sound with tons of wonderful editing capabilities. However (and I have stated many times before), I strongly dislike auto-tune when it is used as a total "crutch" to "hide" the lack of talent of a musician. In today's world, the use of auto-tune is SO prevalent and can be used to make almost ANY singer sound like a star. Think about it.....if someone sings in key without flaw, that person is generally considered to be a very talented singer. So, if nearly 100% of all the new releases are auto-tuned tracks, how do you determine WHO has the REAL talent? How do you separate the good from the bad if they ALL sound pitch-perfect?
The original intent of auto-tune was to correct the pitch of a vocal while trying to retain a natural sound. In many cases, that effort has been achieved. However, the BLATANT use of auto-tune has now become an artform.
For those of you who have never investigated the inner-workings of computer-based recording and how it works, here is an overview that demonstrates how recorded tracks can be edited and manipulated in small and huge ways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdDtXEzjgRg&feature=related

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Studio vocal autotune & info tutorial581 Robby Lane 06/22/2011 02:29AM
Re: Studio vocal autotune & info tutorial 294 Tom G 06/22/2011 05:22AM
Re: Studio vocal autotune & info tutorial 186 Ydde 06/22/2011 11:32PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.