Re: Ignorance is bliss......
Date: October 27, 2008 05:23PM
I had a great weekend. I was introduced to amazing bands I had never heard before, or only heard a couple of songs on myspace. I was forced to have a rethink about a certain Tyketto album I previously dismissed as boring. I don't think I saw a single bad set although some had room for improvement (Tall Stories and Rox Diamond spring to mind). I was left wondering 2 things though:
- Firstly what was wrong with Jeff Scott Soto's stall that led to that roadie having to take his shirt off?
- Secondly why did everyone boo the guitarist from Tyketto (not the bald one with the beard, the other one)?
And a few other points to get off my chest:
- The singer in Valentine is a such a Steve Perry fantasist I had to laugh. They still played a great set though and he still sang beautifully despite throat trouble. In fact I liked them so much I bought their DVD. I'm just jealous because he gets to live out his Steve Perry fantasies and I don't. Most of my favourite bands are either Iron Maiden or Judas Priest clones, anyway. Or AC/DC clones.
- While we're on the subject of living out Steve Perry fantasies, I couldn't help but notice 2 former Journey singers on the bill. If Firefest 6 does happen then at the rate that Journey get through singers nowadays I look forward to seeing The Zoo perform ;-) .
- Danny Vaughan has the most gorgeous, luscious hair in rock music today. It's up there with Scott Gorham's hair in the mid-70's or Lars Ulrich circa Black album. It's that good. He could do a Pantene advert.
- Loud & Clear played the best Journey cover of the whole weekend.
- I happened to share a train carriage with Talon on the way to Nottingham. It was funny listening to their rhythm guitarist chatting up a very pretty Essex girl (and I know she came from Essex because she mentioned that usually the only time she leaves Essex is when she gets on the plane to go to Ibeefa, which for the benefit of those not familiar with English regional accents is actually Ibiza).