Trivium - In the Court of the Dragon
Posted by: arpatterson ()
Date: October 25, 2021 07:11AM

Have not read much on here about Trivium’s new one which I think deserves a mention. I am a late comer to this band and have enjoyed their recent releases since Silence In the Snow. Had sampled a couple of new tunes on YouTube and tbh they did not do much for me … Needless to say I took the plunge and purchased the new cd to listen as intended. Now having lived with it and put it through a series of listening sessions I have picked out a few tunes below as discussion points …

‘In The Court Of The Dragon’ which instantly grabs your attention with Matt Heafy barking out his vocals; I admit I struggle a bit with too much of this vocal style; This was a YT video and hence the struggle. But this is a very heavy track and once you get used to it there is plenty to like and will help you adjust to rest of the album. The riffing and drum work are in yer face.

‘Like A Sword Over Damocles’ continues the album in a heavy but melodic way with more clean singing on this one. I like this one

‘Feast Of Fire’, continues with the clean vocal delivery for most part and this has a more straight ahead metal groove that shows the diversity and influence on this album.

‘A Crisis Of Revelation’ is another tip to the hat to heavy thrash type playing with growls vocals on the verses followed by more melodic chorus. It’s a heavy tune but great melodic guitar soloing with big rhythm sections.

‘The Shadow Of The Abattoir’ is the sort of tune which got me listening to this band back in SITS album. It’s offers a progressive metal vibe with a mix of styles that Trivium employ to their advantage. Another stand out tune on this record.

‘Fall Into Your Hands’ continues in the progressive vein and mixing styles up. Another decent tune.

Finally ‘The Phalanx’ closes the album with another slice of quality progressive metal clocking in around 7 minutes again with a mixture of styles. Another strong cut on this album.

Their last album hinted a return to heavier stuff and more growls but this album is stronger than it even with it’s aggressive style. Certainly this and the last 3 releases from Trivium have spiked my interest in a band I found very hard to listen to in the past and ignored completely. I have no real desire currently to explore their back catalogue and perhaps that’s a mistake but I prefer the latter years Trivium is now in with that progressive style more apparent.

I am happy to promote their last few albums on these boards as they offer something to us who like well crafted songs, musicianship and melody. It is a heavy album and you have to be in a frame of mind to listen or be at the gym! I’m sure I am not alone in my sentiments regarding this band. A strong effort IMHO and worth checking out.

Now where did I set that new Eclipse CD…

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Trivium - In the Court of the Dragon142 arpatterson 10/25/2021 07:11AM
Re: Trivium - In the Court of the Dragon 105 Flet 10/25/2021 12:26PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.