Re: Steve Lukather - Nerve Bundle live stream from The Baked Potato
Posted by: Ross S. ()
Date: November 30, 2020 03:29AM

I don't know. It think it will get old at some point. But for this kind of show (or like the new Toto one where there was a lot of curiosity about how they would sound) it can work. In the end, there is no substitute for being there. I would say that I would prefer this kind of pay-per-view show to almost any stadium show. Unless in the first 20 rows, those are just awful - like watching little ants up on the stage.

First really big shows I ever saw were kind of worse in order. Monsters of Rock with Dokken/Metallica/Scorpions/Van Halen was really fun but in part because we got there early enough to be on the floor/field about 15-20 rows back.

Next one for me was Robert Plant, but it was in the lower level of a basketball arena (not on the floor). I liked it but remember feeling that he was a bit far away. Pat Torpey was the drummer that night, the only time I ever got to see him, and he was really, really good.

The third one I saw was Whitesnake/Bad English (with Vai on guitar for WS) in a basketball arena but slightly further away. Even though I liked Whitesnake's music (especially 1987) and loved Steve Vai (his solo spot was the highlight of the show) - quite frankly, it was boring. In an instant I got why a lot of rock "journalists" were so down on the arena rock thing.

I have seen some arena shows that DID connect in a way that made it really fun for me. Those included Rush, ABWH and later Yes, and maybe one or two more. But for the most part, I'm really not interested unless I can see a band in a theater. Clubs are fun but some acts I really want to see are a little to big to book into clubs. Have seen solo tours from big bandmembers in small clubs from just a few feet away, and these were really fun. Those include Adrian Belew, Steve Howe, Rick Wakeman, David Lee Roth (!!), Steve Lukather, Michael Landau, Allan Holdsworth, Steven Wilson (early on), Young Gun Silver Fox, Steve Morse, Dan Reed Network, John Sykes, Steve Stevens, and a few more. Those were truly worthwhile experiences.

- < Listen to Jellyfish & Kevin Gilbert > -

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2020 03:30AM by Ross S..

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Steve Lukather - Nerve Bundle live stream from The Baked Potato 277 Ross S. 11/29/2020 04:38PM
Re: Steve Lukather - Nerve Bundle live stream from The Baked Potato 122 Peter M. Bietenholz 11/29/2020 10:31PM
Re: Steve Lukather - Nerve Bundle live stream from The Baked Potato129 Ross S. 11/30/2020 03:29AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.