JUDAS PRIEST - Redeemer Of Souls (linking Aussie Dave)
Posted by: Wardy ()
Date: July 20, 2014 11:26AM

This was from Dave nearly couple weeks ago, thought though would start a new thread now album has been out for a week! Any changes to your opinion since Dave? Have posted own after your original thoughts...

Posted by: Aussie Dave
Date: July 03, 2014 03:49PM

On first couple of spins, it's pretty solid from start to finish. I think the production is lacking some punch, but the songs are good. Rob sounds ok. Can't quite get as high as he used to, but he proves he's still got it, especially on the awesome 'Battle Cry'. Stand out tracks for me thus far are 'Dragonaut','Halls Of Valhalla', 'Down In Flames' and 'Battle Cry'. Better than I anticipated. I did have low expectations though, especially after KK left and the fact that their last album sucked balls. We're not going to get another 'Screaming For Vengeance' or 'British Steel' album from these guys. I think this is as good as we can hope for from Priest. Solid effort.

SO, now have the album in hand I gotta say am surprised how good this darn thing is! To be fair while not all of it works am loving most of it and it's been a long time coming since enjoying so much of the material on a new Priest record. Hey I liked Nostradamus okay, but no argument this one kills it \m/

Many may disagree but I think they've done here what Halford did with Made Of Metal, taking out a lot of the heavy for heavy sake elements and focusing instead on just writing great songs - and for those same reasons the record wins!

Anyway, personal highlights are every track from the title track through to Hell And Back, then probably Battle Cry and the closing number Beginning Of The End which lyrically makes up for the (respectfully) usual naff/fun lyrics that clutter most the rest of the album. The concluding Beginning Of The End is a highlight and a fitting end to a very solid album! Nothing here could really be considered filler but to each their own and whatnot...

The bonus tracks are indeed studio cuts and opinion will vary regarding each their merit and whether they should've featured on the album proper (my vote goes to the very late 80's sounding Tears Of Blood, easily an album candidate in my books).

Priest delivering a credible record in 2014. Good stuff! \m/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/20/2014 11:31AM by Wardy.

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
JUDAS PRIEST - Redeemer Of Souls (linking Aussie Dave)310 Wardy 07/20/2014 11:26AM
Re: JUDAS PRIEST - Redeemer Of Souls (linking Aussie Dave) 207 Aussie Dave 07/20/2014 11:43AM
Re: JUDAS PRIEST - Redeemer Of Souls (linking Aussie Dave) 168 Wardy 07/20/2014 02:50PM
Re: JUDAS PRIEST - Redeemer Of Souls (linking Aussie Dave) 161 Lutty 07/20/2014 05:08PM
Re: JUDAS PRIEST - Redeemer Of Souls (linking Aussie Dave) 141 JIMMY AGATES 07/20/2014 10:07PM
Re: JUDAS PRIEST - Redeemer Of Souls (linking Aussie Dave) 131 Warrior21 07/20/2014 10:41PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.