Michael Schenker - Bridge The Gap
Posted by: RAMSAY ()
Date: November 20, 2013 10:49PM

I've had a promo of this album for the last few weeks and have to say it's a pretty great listen. In fact, the more I spin it the more I love it. I'm not as knowledgeable about Mike as some of our posters, and therefore can't compare it to other periods from his career, but on its own I think it's exceptionally strong from start to finish. It has a real old school metal feel with an energy and sound that's reminiscent of early Maiden before they went all prog , combined with some of the mythical feel of early Rainbow with RJD. The former is obviously unsurprising given how Schenker influenced Maiden's guitarist and Steve Harris' writing. There's also a slightly more contemporary dynamic at times as Wayne Findley apparently used a seven string guitar on certain tracks, giving a more postmillennial bottom heavy crunch. And the rhythm section of Herman and Francis are on fire too.

I'd be amazed if Schenker's fans didn't find lots to love about this record. I know a lot complained about the vocals of Michael Voss on Temple Of Rock, but here those - apart from a bonus track featuring Don Dokken, which I don't have - are handled by Doogie White and he simply soars. It's not just the range and power of his voice that's impressive, but he gives each and every line a unique melodic feel that makes them stick in your head for days! Although there's highlights throughout, the title track is a brilliant anthem that will sound amazing live. The only song I'm not too sure about is Because You Lied, which is a little weird. There's parts of it I like such as an insistent drilling riff, but I can't decide if its repetitive structure is cool or irritating!

Only a minor gripe as this one is a solid 4 /5 for me.

----------------------------------------------------------

I know it's "cool" to make fun of celebrities, but jokes aside the stuff aimed at Justin Bieber needs to stop.

That's somebody's daughter.

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Michael Schenker - Bridge The Gap319 RAMSAY 11/20/2013 10:49PM
Re: Michael Schenker - Bridge The Gap 210 Ross S. 11/21/2013 04:29AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.