Butch Walker in Raleigh
Posted by: Kevin ()
Date: November 01, 2013 01:14PM

I know there is some interest of Butch here, so this is a short recap of the Raleigh show from this past Sunday. There are a couple of things one can pretty much expect from a Butch Walker show these days. Opening acoustic section with just Butch on guitar or piano, then going into a full-band show after a couple of songs. A good amount of new material. Not much Marv3 or the first solo album. This show pretty much held true to form.

There were some changes this time around however. In recent years, Butch has toured with a full band, including a couple of backing singers, and a lead guitarist, which means he tends to play acoustic guitar a lot. This time, it was a bit stripped back. New band, with Butch on lead guitar, and no backing singers, so only 4 people on stage. Kinda cool to hear him cut loose on lead guitar, since it's been a long time since he has done that. A fair bit of the "acoustic set" was an electric guitar also.

This was only the 2nd night of the tour, and with a new band, they aren't as tight as the old band was. They were good, but there is a tightness that only playing a bunch of shows together will bring. Last time around, Raleigh was one of the last dates on the tour, and the band had done a couple of tours with Butch, and they were tight. This time, a bit looser.

a couple of high points....
Let Me Go was played during the acoustic section by audience request.

Freak of the Week made an appearance with Butch on electric guitar, and a girl from the audience doing lead vocals. Butch appears to be tired of singing this song, so after ditching it entirely for a couple of tours, now he's just like "who wants to come up and sing it?". As loud as the audience is, you hardly need anyone to sing it on stage, but it's this kind of personal touch that really bonds the performer to the audience.

An absolutely killer version of Let it Go Where It's Supposed To. Butch did a nice tribute to his Dad before the song started, and got really choked up trying to get through the song. He's one of those artists who wears his heart on his sleeve, and it shows.

So to sum up, not the best Butch Walker show that I've seen (the last Raleigh show in 2011 might have that title), but that's still more memorable than most artists on their best day.

setlist...

Solo Set...
Joan
Passed Your Place, Saw Your Car, Thought of You
Don't Move
Mixtape
Let Me Go (audience request...most of song, minus bridge)
Freak of the Week (guest vocal)
Peachtree Battle

Full-Band Set...
Going Back, Going Home
Pretty Melody
Let It Go Where It's Supposed To
The Weight of Her, with snippet of Teenage Wasteland
Closest Thing to You I'm Gonna Find
I've Been Waiting for This
Coming Home
Synthesizers, with snippet of Come On, Eileen
She Likes Hair Bands
Summer of '89

encore...
3 Kids in Brooklyn
Hot Girls in Good Moods

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Butch Walker in Raleigh191 Kevin 11/01/2013 01:14PM
Re: Butch Walker in Raleigh 96 Walk In The Shadows 11/02/2013 03:36AM
Re: Butch Walker in Raleigh 77 Robert 11/02/2013 10:38AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.