Re: Firefest Day 3 Review...
Posted by: trooper ()
Date: October 23, 2013 07:16AM

Great reviews Andy!
Mostly agree with what others have said too.
Here's my short take...

Friday:

The Magnificent - Started off the ball with a brilliant performance. Seen some of the Magnificent songs live before (performed mostly by Michael Eriksen's other band Circus Maximus) so I had a feeling it was gonna sit good with the FF audience - which it sure did!

Eden's Curse. I only saw a couple of songs. Not my cup of tea, but seemed like a solid performance.

Work Of Art - I enjoyed their performance although the guitar was too low in the mix. Solid performance and a great set of songs. One of the weekend's highlights for me personally.

WET - Brilliant set, very energic. Musically one of the better live bands I've seen in recent years (and keep in mind that they are not a 'touring band')

Dare - having seen them numerous times before, I was pleasantly surprised at their set! Darren in top form vocally (best I've ever seen him I think) and with songs even from Blood From Stone you can't go wrong. Mid section too mellow though. Otherwise one of the most memorable sets of the weekend.

Harem Scarem - Actually better than what I expected. Harry and the guys were in top shape. A solid set and good song selections.

Saturday:

Nation - Too early for me, had to recover from a couple of pints too many the night before. See you next time.

Von Groove - Woke me up! Really had the crowd going, but personally I would have wished for a completely different set of songs! Still, a very solid and fun performance.

Heavens Edge - Never really got into their set and left for a bite half way through. Decent sound and performance, but the songs left me cold.

Treat - Wow, I was so happy that they played several songs off the fabulous Coup De Grace! And they really sounded great - as always. Too bad they're heading for retirement!

Heat - Stunning performance, but I must admit that I'm not so much into their songs as most others are.

Shooting Star - Perhaps the set I was looking most forward to. Been a fan since the early 80's so it was a blast to finally see them live! Sadly it seemed as many had left for a lunch break prior their performance, but those who stayed were in for a treat. The band needed the first two songs to really get off, but after that they rocked like a truck of bricks. The new vocalist was very good.

Hardline - Yet another stellar performance. Haven't seen them in a while, but with Mr Ramos on guitar and Johnny in top shape (vocally equally as good as Darren the night before - although obviously two different styles) you couldn't go wrong. Good set, but could have played even more from Double Eclipse imo.

Sunday:

Eclipse - Really really great performance. Great set (I've become a huge fan of their latest cd) and the overall sound was really good. Had the best set of the day until Legends came on.

Brighton Rock - They were struggling a bit. Went from sounding good to sounding bad and then back to sounding good again in the same song - and that happened on quite a few songs. Monitor problems i recon?

Prophet - Good, solid performance, but personally I could have wished for a more varied set.

Alien - Yet another Swedish band with a stellar performance. I've seen them a few times before, and Jim Jidhed always deliver. Looking forward to the new album!

Baton Rouge - The band tried their best, but they brought a clown with a microphone in hand with them...

Vixen - Never seen them before and they truly rocked the place. Great performance and a fitting set of songs.

Legends - Along with Eclipse band of the day for me. A worthy ending of yet another fantastic FF event. All singers and the band gave their best, and it's fun to watch and listen to the world famous hits when it's done this way.

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Firefest Day 3 Review... 972 GuitarheroAndy 10/22/2013 07:04AM
Re: Firefest Day 3 Review... 522 RAMSAY 10/22/2013 07:19AM
Re: Firefest Day 3 Review... 2080 cookie 10/22/2013 08:06AM
Re: Firefest Day 3 Review... 589 Mindcrime 10/22/2013 08:40AM
Re: Firefest Day 3 Review... 505 DaveP 10/22/2013 05:00PM
Re: Firefest Day 3 Review... 420 FleetfootMike 10/22/2013 10:22PM
Re: Firefest Day 3 Review... 434 MetroGnome 10/22/2013 10:56PM
Re: Firefest Day 3 Review...382 trooper 10/23/2013 07:16AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.