Re: Firefest Day 3 Review...
Posted by: MetroGnome ()
Date: October 22, 2013 10:56PM

I went to all 3 days but Sunday was the day I was looking forward to so if anyone cares, here's what I thought.

Eclipse:
Very good. I'm not really a fan of this kind of stuff but I can't fault the live performance. I would say the same about W.E.T, Work Of Art and HEAT from the other days. Big choruses and very polished and I enjoyed it for what it was though I wouldn't listen at home.

Brighton Rock:
Enthusiastic bunch and they seem to have some fans in the crowd but it didn't really do much for me tbh. Performance wise again I can't fault them but no wow factor to grab my attention

Prophet:
One of the main reasons I was there and for me they didn't disappoint. They could have chosen a more AOR sounding selection of songs but they went for the more rocking stuff generally. Ken Dubman has always been one of my fave guitarists and I love Russ Arcara's voice. One of the highlights of my weekend personally.

Alien:
Everybody's got to eat sometime so I chose this time and didn't see them.

Baton Rouge:
OK I'm going to be kind here and say their performance was misjudged rather downright bad. If it was 1988, it was at The Cathouse on sunset strip and they were the headliner they might have got away with rambling unrehearsed jamming. The singer might have been seen as dangerous and cool and most of the crowd would have been wasted enough themselves not to notice or care. However, at Nottingham in 2013 with a mostly middle aged crowd who are used to hearing perfect performances time after time it was always going to turn into a disaster. I'm not familiar with their songs anyway so it didn't bother me as much as others but it was the longest 55 minutes of my life and I pretty much cringed the whole way through. On the plus side, the crowd thinned enough for me to get right to the front for JSRG...cosmic synchronicty at it's finest hehe!

Vixen:
yeah I know that's not what they are called but it's a technicality...everyone refers to them as Vixen.
They were great! Simple as that. They have the songs and they've always been underrated as musicians so I wasn't really surprised. Janet Gardner has one of my favourite voices in rock and she still has it. No fakery or backing vocals on tape (OK just a couple of keyboard intros). Just a raw and kick ass performance with tunes that nearly everyone knows how to sing along to. I confess to trying to turn a deaf ear to what Janet Gardner was saying about Jan Kuhnemund simply in order to keep my composure...I had blubbing people all around me, blokes included and seeing a band playing where all 4 members have tears rolling down their face is not something I'll ever forget....very special atmosphere wow!
Along with Prophet probably my favourite performance of the weekend.

Legends:
I admit to being disappointed when I found out that JLT was being replaced by Graham Bonnet but what a revalation!. OK he got a couple of lyrics wrong but holy hell what a voice he still has. Add to that his totally screwball (in a good way) commentary between the songs, loved it!
The whole Legends set was a perfect way to end the weekend...Eric Martin, Bobby Kimball, classic song after classic song. Surprise guests and superb musicianship all round...the perfect end to a mainly great weekend.

Honourable mentions:
From the other days I really enjoyed Hardline, Treat, Dare and Harem Scarem.
Bands that didn't connect with me at all were Heaven's Edge and of course Baton Rouge.

edited for typo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2013 10:57PM by MetroGnome.

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Firefest Day 3 Review... 971 GuitarheroAndy 10/22/2013 07:04AM
Re: Firefest Day 3 Review... 522 RAMSAY 10/22/2013 07:19AM
Re: Firefest Day 3 Review... 2080 cookie 10/22/2013 08:06AM
Re: Firefest Day 3 Review... 589 Mindcrime 10/22/2013 08:40AM
Re: Firefest Day 3 Review... 505 DaveP 10/22/2013 05:00PM
Re: Firefest Day 3 Review... 420 FleetfootMike 10/22/2013 10:22PM
Re: Firefest Day 3 Review...433 MetroGnome 10/22/2013 10:56PM
Re: Firefest Day 3 Review... 382 trooper 10/23/2013 07:16AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.