Re: Firefest Day 3 Review...
Posted by: FleetfootMike ()
Date: October 22, 2013 10:22PM

Speaking as Andy's mate :D

JSRG were awesome - I've been a fan since the first Vixen album, and "Rev It Up" is, for me, one of the defining albums of the genre - you can pretty much use it as a bible of songwriting/arrangement devices (and indeed, the band I was in did!).

Really enjoyed their set: Edge Of A Broken Heart brought a lump to my throat - I still unashamedly cite Jan as an influence on my guitar playing, and by all accounts a gracious and lovely lady who will be sadly missed. Full marks to Gina: she's been copping flak on any number of YouTube comments (yes, I know. Don't read the comments!) for basically not being Jan, but... she isn't. Nor do we have any right to expect her to be or demand that she is. From where I was standing (3 rows back and bang in front of her) she rocked, and added her own stamp to solos: I did though note that she *did* play Jan's lovely playout solo on 'Edge..' pretty much note for note, which was a fitting tribute.

I am way *way* too old to have been fanboy enough to go join the meet and greet, but frankly? Who cares? They were gracious and gorgeous (and have no business being that stunning when they're actually my age!).

Alien very definitely made it onto the list of 'bands to check out', as did Prophet. Both bands had their 'own' sound within the genre, and both kicked serious arse.

I'll be generous and say that Baton Rouge were.... um... loose. Very. Brighton Rock were a bit of a chimera - they were a very good hard rock band, and a decent AoR outfit. But they never seemed to settle down on one or the other: the singer and guitarist in particular didn't seem to have an AoR-mode, as it were. Talented, but unsatisfyingly generic.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2013 10:28PM by FleetfootMike.

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Firefest Day 3 Review... 943 GuitarheroAndy 10/22/2013 07:04AM
Re: Firefest Day 3 Review... 508 RAMSAY 10/22/2013 07:19AM
Re: Firefest Day 3 Review... 2064 cookie 10/22/2013 08:06AM
Re: Firefest Day 3 Review... 561 Mindcrime 10/22/2013 08:40AM
Re: Firefest Day 3 Review... 480 DaveP 10/22/2013 05:00PM
Re: Firefest Day 3 Review...400 FleetfootMike 10/22/2013 10:22PM
Re: Firefest Day 3 Review... 415 MetroGnome 10/22/2013 10:56PM
Re: Firefest Day 3 Review... 358 trooper 10/23/2013 07:16AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.