Re: Firefest Day 3 Review...
Posted by: Mindcrime ()
Date: October 22, 2013 08:40AM

As always, interesting to hear the conflicting opinions over who people felt were good / bad / indifferent....as Kieran often says, the world would be a very boring place if we all liked the same thing and the beauty of Firefest is that there is almost always something for everyone.

I thought Eclipse were the best opener of any day of any of the 10 Firefests personally. Despite not looking old enough to be allowed in the venue, Eric Martensson is just a stellar talent and they are quickly amassing a catalogue of genuinely excellent material.

Overall I thought joint bands of the weekend were HEAT and Harem Scarem, with Eclipse and WET not far behind, but virtually everyone I saw put on a great show, with one huge exception.

Baton Rouge were one of those "bucket list" bands for me. I have loved Shake Your Soul since the first time I heard it and even now it contains some of my absolute favourite songs of the genre, so from the moment they were announced on Steve Price's show as being part of this year's line-up, they were immediately the band I was looking forward to seeing the most.

I am still in equal parts disappointed and disgusted by the car crash that was their shambolic performance...or more specifically Kelly Keeling's. Even the rest of the band looked genuinely embarrassed at the situation. People were walking out in their droves and it was unquestionably the first time I have ever heard booing at Firefest for an act. There was simply no excuse for what happened and it massively disrespected Kieran and the crew, the festival, the fans and the legacy of his own band. He should hang his head in shame.

Despite this, it was yet another awesome weekend, meeting friends old and new as always and augmented by two great rock nights at The Sal til silly o'clock, just in case there was ever a danger of grabbing some sleep at some point.

Can't wait to do it all again next year, with a huge tinge of sadness at it being the final one. Sure they will have something special lined up to end an era in style....

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Firefest Day 3 Review... 963 GuitarheroAndy 10/22/2013 07:04AM
Re: Firefest Day 3 Review... 517 RAMSAY 10/22/2013 07:19AM
Re: Firefest Day 3 Review... 2074 cookie 10/22/2013 08:06AM
Re: Firefest Day 3 Review...582 Mindcrime 10/22/2013 08:40AM
Re: Firefest Day 3 Review... 500 DaveP 10/22/2013 05:00PM
Re: Firefest Day 3 Review... 414 FleetfootMike 10/22/2013 10:22PM
Re: Firefest Day 3 Review... 429 MetroGnome 10/22/2013 10:56PM
Re: Firefest Day 3 Review... 378 trooper 10/23/2013 07:16AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.