Firefest Day 3 Review...
Posted by: GuitarheroAndy ()
Date: October 22, 2013 07:04AM

As I did a review for day 1, I thought I'd do the same for day 3

Went with a mate on Sunday. It was his first ever Firefest and he only really went for JSRG and Legends. Thus, we arrived in Nottingham at about 12.30 and, being starving hungry, headed for food. In retrospect, this was an almighty error, as will be seen below...

Eclipse: Due to dinner, we missed all bar Eclipse's last song.On entering the venue, it became immediately apparent that the decision to eat before entering had been fatally flawed, as the band sounded superb, the place was heaving and clearly, they had been very special. Bollocks!! Oh well, we were there now...what could possibly go wrong????

Brighton Rock: That's what could go wrong!!!! I never really liked this lot back in the day. I never got his vocal style as it always sounded 'wrong' for the stuff they were playing. They tried hard, a couple of tracks were ok-ish, but overall, I thought they were a bit crap really. Sorry...I know lots of you like 'em... Anyway, I definitely wished we had eaten after Eclipse, and chosen a quick sandwich to enable us to be back in time for...

Prophet: I had zero expectations for these guys, having really only heard (and really liked) 'Cycle Of The Moon'. In the event, they were a revelation! The energy level was insane, especially from the guitarist and keyboard player whose mobility behind the keys showed just how much he was enjoying himself. There was not a weak song in the set and they didn't f**k about either. Very little chat, just one great track after another and more than made up for Brighton Rock. In the words of my mate, who knew nothing of either band, "Prophet sounded like Prophet, whereas Brighton Rock could have been just one of any number of 80s outfits" Yeah...pretty spot on, that!!

Alien:I simply adore Alien's mighty debut CD!! The strength of the songs, production and performances are, IMHO, stellar, so it was with great relief that I can report that they nailed it one hundred percent!! Jim Jidhed looked a lot more rock n roll than the pics of last time's show suggested and what a voice!! My mate was literally awestruck when they did 'Only One Woman...and he wasn't alone!! Even the new song didn't bring the momentum down (Bloody GREAT number...slotted in with the classics like it had been there all along!!) New album coming and if it's all as good as that one aired yesterday, we are in for a treat!!! Brilliant, brilliant show and they seemed to be loving every second of it. This is what Firefest is all about...

Baton Rouge After Alien, me and my mate went for a cup of tea, as Baton Rouge never did it for me. Shake Your Soul has its moments, but overall....nah... We arrived back in the venue to witness the final two songs. I am so glad we missed the rest of it, given what I have heard from everyone else!!!!

JSRG: The main event as far as me and my mate were concerned, so we plunged 'into the pit' (we had watched the rest from next to the mixing desk) and ended up 3 from the front in front of Gina. What followed was a rollercoaster ride of excellence as the girls tore it up and had us eating out of their hands throughout! What a great performance, a superb setlist (Rocking In The Free World excepted...I play that in my pub band week after week and didn't need to hear it played by these girls, thank you!) I have to admit to weeping openly when they dedicated 'Edge of A Broken Heart' to their recently deceased original guitar player Jan Kuehnemund. Maybe it's because cancer is in my family at the moment, maybe it was the emotion of the moment, I dunno, but it totally got to me and somehow that great, great song became elevated even more... What a fabulous performance!!! One of my favourite ever from Firefest. Huge respect to the girsl for even doing it given the emotions they must have been wrestling with. Anyway, after their encore (of an Adele number that REALLY worked...trust me!!) my mate headed off 'for a walk' he said and I suspected he might be off to the meet and greet, so I went for a look see....and so we queued up for ages and had our pics taken and the girls were fabulous, friendly and, well, what a moment...I have the picture and will treasure it as a great memento of a great night! (PS, I dunno what these girls are on, but they are at least my age if not older, and I look like their f**kin' grandad on this pic!! Sheesh!! :-) )

So on with the show...

Legends:Due to the JSRG meet and greet, we missed most of Graham Bonnet's performance, (although his encore performance of 'Since You Been Gone' was stellar!) but the rest of the Legends set flew by! They had a fabulous sound from back near the mixing desk and all the expected classics were thrown in. Great to see Sir Bob of Catley onstage helping out Eric 'barking mad' Martin! However, the revelation of Legends had to be Bobby Kimball, whose vocals were phenomenal!!! There has been a lot written about how his voice is shot, etc...well, on this stage, on that night, he was anything but shot and when they finished with 'Hold The Line', the place went mad! Brilliant set, brilliant musicians, brilliant end to a brilliant day and a brilliant weekend!!!

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Firefest Day 3 Review...869 GuitarheroAndy 10/22/2013 07:04AM
Re: Firefest Day 3 Review... 487 RAMSAY 10/22/2013 07:19AM
Re: Firefest Day 3 Review... 2052 cookie 10/22/2013 08:06AM
Re: Firefest Day 3 Review... 527 Mindcrime 10/22/2013 08:40AM
Re: Firefest Day 3 Review... 453 DaveP 10/22/2013 05:00PM
Re: Firefest Day 3 Review... 372 FleetfootMike 10/22/2013 10:22PM
Re: Firefest Day 3 Review... 385 MetroGnome 10/22/2013 10:56PM
Re: Firefest Day 3 Review... 315 trooper 10/23/2013 07:16AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.