Two great records just got better..YJM Odyssey and Eclipse
Posted by: Scott ()
Date: October 13, 2013 05:57PM

Being a fan of RAINBOW and really liking the latter day JLT fronted version, I was thrilled in 88 when after a few years in the wilderness, he returned to the scene with YJM on Odyssey. Whilst that record still had YJM's typical doubles bass drum neo-classic workouts, JLT and production team of the moment Thompson and Barbiero actually made a Rising Force record that could go high in the charts. I love it, and today can still listen to it all the way through. No doubt its YJM's best work overall.

So, Odyssey the original CD is mastered way to quiet and the dynamics are a little flat, so I bought the Japanese SHM remastered "Back To The Rock Years 88-92" issue, a sort of budget (£15-ish) jewel case version of the mini-LP issues they did. WOW..just wow! The new mastering has the volume where it should be loud, the quieter parts are clearer with more space in the layers. You can definately here those little tracks and embellishments in the mix that got buried in the original mastering. No extra's, no expanded booklet..just great remastering. Worth every penny and worthy of the term "classic".

Eclipse, when it came out was something of a let down after Odyssey, still good..but Goran Edman is good but no JLT. But, I still like the record enough to have got this one too from the same remastered series. Only one extra, Makin Love extended version (more solo's). There's perhaps not quite as much to do cartwheels over, possibly down to the fact the original production was done by YJM and mixed to Tom Fletcher. But having said that, its still sounds a lot better and it worthy of buying if this record is your favourite.

Get these will you can.

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Two great records just got better..YJM Odyssey and Eclipse578 Scott 10/13/2013 05:57PM
Re: Two great records just got better..YJM Odyssey and Eclipse 308 movingpictures 10/13/2013 06:05PM
Re: Two great records just got better..YJM Odyssey and Eclipse 232 Steve_Roamer 10/13/2013 07:01PM
Re: Two great records just got better..YJM Odyssey and Eclipse 218 Laurent 10/13/2013 06:47PM
Re: Two great records just got better..YJM Odyssey and Eclipse 208 alliedforces 10/13/2013 07:31PM
Re: Two great records just got better..YJM Odyssey and Eclipse 198 timstar 10/13/2013 09:15PM
Re: Two great records just got better..YJM Odyssey and Eclipse 189 lowdz 10/14/2013 12:09AM
Re: steaming... 117 Steve_Roamer 10/14/2013 02:55PM
Re: steaming... 69 lowdz 10/15/2013 05:36AM
Re: Two great records just got better..YJM Odyssey and Eclipse 133 Peter M. Bietenholz 10/14/2013 05:42AM
Re: Two great records just got better..YJM Odyssey and Eclipse 120 movingpictures 10/14/2013 08:34PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.