Kingdom Come - Outlier
Posted by: wyrm ()
Date: October 12, 2013 05:10AM

I waited a long time before I would share my thoughts about Outlier. I did this because I was pretty disappointed about it at first and really hoped that it would grow on me. But alas, it didn't...

To explain a bit how I feel about KC: I live and breath music, from my earliest memories until today, I've been listening to music. Kingdom Come is with 2 or 3 other bands/artists my all-time favorite. I have seen the band live on stage, in different line-ups, and every time it was sheer brilliance. Every album up to and including "Too" has a special place in my heart and is played on an almost daily base (and I have close to 1000 CDs). I have every Kingdom Come CD, LP, single, etc what I could find.

So "what's wrong with Outlier" I hear you think. I think even Lenny Wolf knows what is wrong, or maybe I should say "What's missing". On some old interviews Lenny told he was looking for a musical partner like Lennon/McCartney. I think he is right. Lenny Wolf is really repeating himself. On Magnified it was painfully obvious that the opening song (Living Dynamite) was a complete clone of the song Gotta Move Now, the opening song on Perpetual. On this album I have the same feeling on several songs. The song Don't Want You to Wait for example contains almost the same chorus as Silhouette Paintings. I sometimes find myself singing the wrong chorus because it's all very samey. On the album I hear bits and pieces of several older songs of Perpetual and Ain't Crying For The Moon, I think Lenny is a musical genius that is capable of much more than this.

I hear he is trying to progress my adding electronic beeps, loops and quirks but this doesn't hide the fact that the album is nowhere near the quality of the first 8 albums. On this forum (to me, the most respectable melodic rock website), Andrew even called Lenny Wolf "the king of plod". It breaks my heart when I read it, but understand what he is saying.

The sound of the album does not help either. Because of the drum machine every hit on the drums sounds exactly like the one before. Next to that, Production-wise it really is terrible. Check this out: Kingdom Come DR Database. Here it is painfully visible that those latter albums sound really bad. Outlier is sound-wise maybe not as bad as Rendered Waters but still almost unlistenable in my car (and I have a high quality sound system in it). I really thought Magnified was a step in the right direction, sound-wise, but now we're 3 steps back.

I really hope Lenny Wolf does recover and enters the studio with a band instead of this one-man-show. If this is no option, I rather have KC just playing shows and releasing live CDs/DVDs than destroying the legacy like this. I am however sure that songs like Running High Distortion, The Trap is Alive and When Colors Break the Grey will be a feast on the ears when I hear it being played by the complete band.

I hope that 2014 will be the year of the triumphant return of the band Kingdom Come, in whatever form or line-up.

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Kingdom Come - Outlier327 wyrm 10/12/2013 05:10AM
Re: Kingdom Come - Outlier 166 Wardy 10/12/2013 02:57PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.