Metallica - Do They Have Another Great Album In Them? Do They Care?
Posted by: RAMSAY ()
Date: September 20, 2013 09:16AM

Seriously, are they allergic to a recording studio? Not sure if this story is true but how many different reasons can they find to keep touring the same show?

Metallica Tour

If I was being cynical - which is usual - I'd suggest they're sub consciously looking for excuses not to record a new album because they know they're a spent force, creatively speaking. I liked Death Magnetic, but to me it sounded like a 'Best Of' Metallica album comprised of new songs. It was good, but recycled bits of every song they'd ever recorded. For The Day That Never Comes, see Fade To Black. The End Of The Line, Creeping Death. And a third Unforgiven?

I loved Metallica so much in the 90's. They were my favourite band of all time during those difficult adolescent years. I loved early Metallica and the blues metal grooves of Load in equal measure. For that I'll always have a special place in my heart for them. They're one of a handful of bands whose albums I always buy on the day they're released (except Lulu obviously..) and will no doubt continue to do so. But do they really have it in them to produce another great record - and do they even care about trying?

My take? I think the worst thing that happened to them was Hetfield getting clean, sober and all zen. Their greatest songs and albums were fuelled by a combination of his anger, demons and friction with Ulrich. I'm sure he's living a happier life and it's great for him and his family, but the music has suffered as a result. Which is why Death Magnetic replicated the past so closely, but without the genuine sense of fire that lit up those early records.

I just wonder if deep down the band know they have nothing new to say, and no idea how to express themselves in a fresh, exciting way. As a recent thread stated, Megadeth have been far more creative in the last decade and I just don't think Metallica - with their comfortable touring life, huge wealth, success beyond their wildest dreams - have the desire or energy to produce something special anymore. I hope I'm wrong.

I am curious what others think though. Can they pull a rabbit out the hat when they finally get back in the studio?

----------------------------------------------------------

"Am I right, Justin?"

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Metallica - Do They Have Another Great Album In Them? Do They Care?413 RAMSAY 09/20/2013 09:16AM
Re: Metallica - Do They Have Another Great Album In Them? Do They Care? 299 go rock 09/20/2013 10:02AM
Re: Metallica - Do They Have Another Great Album In Them? Do They Care? 221 kersey 09/20/2013 05:04PM
Re: Metallica - Do They Have Another Great Album In Them? Do They Care? 157 nobycane 09/21/2013 11:28PM
Re: Metallica - Do They Have Another Great Album In Them? Do They Care? 214 peteaor 09/20/2013 06:43PM
Re: Metallica - Do They Have Another Great Album In Them? Do They Care? 174 Someone-else 09/21/2013 02:34AM
Re: Metallica - Do They Have Another Great Album In Them? Do They Care? 154 kersey 09/22/2013 12:06AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.