New CDs - Fergie F, Find Me, LRB, Robin Beck and Arc Angel
Posted by: GuitarheroAndy ()
Date: August 29, 2013 02:06AM

So I pre-ordered all these on Amazon and was able to download the MP3s on Friday (through that new thing they do where if you buy the CD you get the download free) which was handy for a weekend away over the bank holiday.

First impressions:

Fergie Frederiksen: Bloody brilliant! Excellent songwriting, brilliant production and really strong vocal. If, God forbid, his illness means that this is the last we hear from the man, it'll be a fabulous end to a great career. Top of the pile by a mile...

Little River Band: Very smooth, very safe and very nice!! Reminds me of a less Country 'Blackhawk' (Van Stephenson's 90s Country/rock/pop outfit). Very similar sound to the guitars and to the big multi-layered vocal harmonies. Yes...Blackhawk minus the 'twang' is a good comparison.Not as ballady is I feared, although it is VERY wimpy...still, I like a bit of wimpy stuff now and again, so that's fine.

Find Me: Some very good songs- bigger choruses than on Blanc Faces stuff and it's great to hear Mr LaBlanc singing so well. The opening number is a solid gold stormer of a track and there are some other equally massive ones on here.

Arc Angel: Have only played it twice. If you like Cannata's solo stuff, you'll like this. I do like it, but it's been eclipsed by the others so far for me. Sounds a bit dated, but in a good way. Must make more effort to play this one over the next day or two...

Robin Beck: Mixed bag. Great vocal performance, but am not digging the production and mix. Way too compressed which means that the songs don't 'breathe' and the drums lack power (esp on the more 'modern' tracks). Some of the guitar sounds are a bit harsh to my ears as well. Some very good songs though. The more modern ones are growing on me but I'm not sold on the mix of traditional and modern on the same CD. If you're gonna be all modern, do it like Rick Springfield and just do it good and proper, don't mix it up with songs that could have (and in some cases on this album did) come from 20-25 years ago. Well, that's in my opinion anyway.

So, a fine month for releases from Frontiers and co. I haven't bought (and enjoyed) so many CDs all at once for ages...

What do the rest of you guys think of these?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2013 02:07AM by GuitarheroAndy.

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
New CDs - Fergie F, Find Me, LRB, Robin Beck and Arc Angel359 GuitarheroAndy 08/29/2013 02:06AM
Fergie Frederiksen - Any Given Moment 139 lordreo 08/30/2013 11:42AM
Re: New CDs - Fergie F, Find Me, LRB, Robin Beck and Arc Angel 64 radiat10n 08/31/2013 05:41AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.