AC/DC in Manchester
Posted by: John ()
Date: December 03, 2000 06:17AM

I just thought I would share some of my thoughts with you all in the hope that perhaps together we can all come up with a few answers.

Through a friend of a friend I got a couple of free tickets to go and see AC/DC at the arena in Manchester.

AC/DC was the first rock band that I ever listened to, (When I was about 12) and in my teenage years I saw them live a couple of times. I'm now 32 and although I still like a wide variety of rock music I'm more of an AOR/MHR fan these days.

Had I not been offered the free tickets I would not have bothered going to the show, however as the ticket were free I thought what the hell. I think that the main reason that I went was to see how many people would actually turn out to see the show. I'm not sure what I was expecting but I can honestly say that I was amazed at the number of people that had turned out. (The arena was 90% full, perhaps 10,000 or more people) Where had they all come from, what music do they usually listen to, where do they go at weekends, and more to the point were are they all when some of the smaller less well known bands go out on the road.

I couldn't help sitting they thinking I know dozens of bands that could blow AC/DC off the stage. (A very bold statement I accept.) But I honestly think that many of the bands signed to the smaller labels Z, N&T, MTM, etc. are much more talented than the five guys that I was watching on stage. There is no doubt that Angus is a star but I was watching the same show that I had seen 15 years ago. (AC/DC are definitely not a band that has moved with the times. - perhaps that’s why they do so well, I don't know.)

What I find difficult to understand is where are all these rock fans when the smaller bands need their support. The majority of the crowd was going mad for AC/DC and all the while I was thinking if only they had the chance to hear more of the up and coming rock bands. I suppose it all comes down to getting rock music back of the radio and into the charts etc. Perhaps it's an impossible dream but if only everyone could combine their efforts to put rock music back on the map.

If any of you have any ideas as to how this can be done I'd love to hear them.

Oh I almost forgot, my verdict on the show: - Apart from a couple of songs from the new album (which I must say were crap) the show was exactly the same as it was 15 years or more ago, only this time round it did absolutely nothing for me. (You know the score some rock classics, a big bell, cannons, a blow up doll, a funny little man playing a guitar whilst having an epileptic fit, definitely nothing new though.)

Cheers

John

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
AC/DC in Manchester94John12/03/2000 06:17AM
RE: AC/DC in Manchester 61Terry12/05/2000 06:25PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.