Re: Brett Walker splash page
Posted by: JMac ()
Date: July 13, 2013 04:21AM

I love Brett Walker's music and am really excited about the new album, so this is such a shocking twist. Just last night I was at the gym and Hard to Find An Easy Way came on the headphones, which I loved.

I thought the splash page was a great tribute, Andrew.

I'm going to share a story...I think it was around 99 or so, maybe 2000? When Napster was huge.

I was maybe 21 back then and was heavily into Napster, just hungrily finding new things (I did buy them later, mind you, but the acceleration of discovery was nuts). Anyway, some guy starts downloading Alfonzetti's "Better Than Goodbye" from me...which is a rare choice because there weren't too many AOR freaks out in cyberspace. So I notice and start chatting with him, "Hey, I think you're going to love that song! By the way, it's written by a guy called Brett Walker, who is also awesome, you should check him out!"

The answers from this guy in chat seem kind of odd because he's extremely knowledgeable and is like, "I know, I know..". And he goes, "You know who this is, right? It's Brett." And I think he's yanking my chain and say so, so he writes, "Ok, I'll prove it to you, ask me anything!". And I ask him really obscure stuff about songwriting & production credits, etc, and he knows it instantly. It's him.

Then he says he's really blown away by Alfonzetti's cover of his song...he hadn't heard it before. And he talks about how now he's a fan of Alfonzetti because, "all it takes is one listen".

He was really cool, and was kind enough to give me his e-mail....we corresponded a few times over the years. He always got back to me and was super cordial even though he didn't know me from Adam< I'd get updates on his work and music.

Rest in peace, Brett! We'll keep enjoying your life's work, as always!

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Brett Walker splash page 656 Honestabe30 07/12/2013 12:32AM
Re: Brett Walker splash page 363 Captain Can Man 07/12/2013 09:35AM
Re: Brett Walker splash page 384 Andrew 07/12/2013 10:17AM
Re: Brett Walker splash page 195 Wardy 07/12/2013 09:19PM
Re: Brett Walker splash page144 JMac 07/13/2013 04:21AM
Re: Brett Walker splash page 114 trooper 07/13/2013 11:22AM
Re: Brett Walker splash page 104 Signal Fan 07/13/2013 09:30AM
Re: Brett Walker splash page 102 Cressy 07/14/2013 07:54AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.