Yngwie Malmsteen Bio and Autobiography
Posted by: chrisbrooks ()
Date: May 22, 2013 08:31PM

In between writing some new material in the last week, I've read two books about Yngwie; "As Above, So Below", the unofficial bio by Anders Tengner, and "Relentless", the autobiography by Yngwie himself. I gobbled up both books in about 10 hours total. The Yng was a big early influence. There was a decade or more when I switched off from his music as my thing took shape and it was time to focus on that and consume some other influences, but it's been great revisiting the story of an early hero and even revisiting his music recently. Have you read either or both books? What did you think?

Relentless is written quite differently as one might expect, and many of the people in Anders' book are either not mentioned by name or not mentioned at all, though some things are described very similarly. Towards the end it sort of veers from autobiographical to philosophical, with the man giving his thoughts on the creation process, tools of his trade, family and his journey to sobriety. I think they make good companion reading as pieces of the same picture. The bulk of Relentless is quite descriptive of the time up until around Odyssey and then subsequent album/tour cycles are referred to more in passing than anything. I recommend both and don't feel like either takes away from the other.

--------------
Chris Brooks - Guitar
http://www.chrisbrooks.com

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Yngwie Malmsteen Bio and Autobiography410 chrisbrooks 05/22/2013 08:31PM
Re: Yngwie Malmsteen Bio and Autobiography 243 perf 05/22/2013 09:08PM
Re: Yngwie Malmsteen Bio and Autobiography 212 Robert 05/22/2013 09:57PM
Re: Yngwie Malmsteen Bio and Autobiography 202 chrisbrooks 05/22/2013 10:28PM
Re: Yngwie Malmsteen Bio and Autobiography 170 rattman 05/22/2013 11:12PM
Re: Yngwie Malmsteen Bio and Autobiography 124 chrisbrooks 05/23/2013 07:22AM
Re: Yngwie Malmsteen Bio and Autobiography 85 houseofshred 05/25/2013 01:00AM
Re: Yngwie Malmsteen Bio and Autobiography 101 Dr Nick 05/29/2013 08:12AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.