Re: Deep Purple. Now What?
Posted by: LazyTrain ()
Date: May 05, 2013 02:48AM

The record labels marketing of Made in Japan meets Perfect Strangers... not even close. To be honest, I don't want either of those repeated anyway (great records, but great artists move forward not back).

Now What sounds like Deep Purple.... the Morse era Deep Purple of course. If you don't like the Morse era Purple, then this record is not going to convert anybody.

That said, I love the record. I think it was Morse that said in an interview, it has a "heaviness" about it, which is a vibe, not necessarily indicative of song tempos. The arrangements are interesting, it manages to stretch out in the right places (very Prog Rock in places, but grounded in melody if that makes sense)... it is dynamic and the songs are well crafted. Gillan sounds amazing on this (no screams, just his normal range, but well produced). There isn't that one song that has the classic riff, catchy song that is going to be the next Hush or Smoke on the Water, but that was the Blackmore era anyway. For me, it is a record that is comparable to one's favorite Deep Tracks on a record, except the whole record for me contains Fav Deep Tracks.

If I compare it to other Morse era records, there are songs on each one that I didn't care for. With Now What I like some more than others of course, but there is not a song on Now What that I do not care for.

I actually quite liked Rapture of the Deep BUT thought the production was sub-par. Bananas sounded better sound-wise with some good songs and some misses on their too (a few songs sound unfinished or too short). Abandon, I don't listen to that much. Only a few standout tracks. _|_ is generally considered the fav Morse era record and I think it has 5 or 6 killer cuts... but Now What trumps it for me.

My Longs 2 Cents,

Frank

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Deep Purple. Now What? 528 ROCKDOG 05/04/2013 08:49PM
Re: Deep Purple. Now What? 371 Carl1 05/04/2013 09:13PM
Re: Deep Purple. Now What? 288 Stephane 05/04/2013 11:23PM
Re: Deep Purple. Now What?261 LazyTrain 05/05/2013 02:48AM
Re: Deep Purple. Now What? 186 machinehead 05/05/2013 06:51PM
Re: Deep Purple. Now What? 128 Terry K. 05/06/2013 02:38AM
Re: Deep Purple. Now What? 134 ROCKDOG 05/06/2013 02:57AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.