R.I.P. Barry Fey - legendary rock concert promoter
Posted by: Ken ()
Date: April 30, 2013 12:26AM

Barry Fey passed away yesterday at the age of 73. He took his own life after battling pain and depression following hip replacement surgery. Barry was the Denver-based rock concert promoter - an absolute legend in the music business.

Barry promoted Led Zeppelin's first ever live show in North America.
Barry promoted U2's "Live Under A Blood Red Sky" show at Red Rocks.
Barry promoted thousands of shows in Denver and around the world.

On a personal note, Barry hired me to work at Fey Concerts in the mid-90's and I was grateful for the opportunity to work with him and learn from him. This photo was taken at the Fey Concerts reunion party in early 2011.

I remember my interview with him like it was yesterday. Five minutes into our chat I heard, "Barry - John Denver is on line two..." Barry proceeded to chat with John for an hour and ten minutes while I just sat in his office. At the end of the conversation, he hung up the phone, looked at me and said, "Well, it's down to you and one other guy so good luck." Thankfully I got the job.

Don't ask me why, but I wore a dress shirt and tie on my first day at work. Barry saw me and yelled, "What the fuck are you wearing that for? You already got the job!"

If you love rock music (that's why we're all here...) you simply MUST buy his book BACKSTAGE PAST to read some of the greatest concert stories ever told. (Forewords by Pete Townshend and Ozzy & Sharon Osbourne.)

http://www.amazon.com/Backstage-Past-Barry-Fey/dp/0984627839/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1367245305&sr=1-1&keywords=Barry+Fey+Backstage+Past

Finally, here's a video I shot that has some great Barry stories told by Chuck Morris.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLLklpifYbs

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
R.I.P. Barry Fey - legendary rock concert promoter459 Ken 04/30/2013 12:26AM
Re: R.I.P. Barry Fey - legendary rock concert promoter 220 Walk In The Shadows 04/30/2013 12:34AM
Re: R.I.P. Barry Fey - legendary rock concert promoter 199 Doug Wolfgang 04/30/2013 12:46AM
Re: R.I.P. Barry Fey - legendary rock concert promoter 238 Ken 04/30/2013 02:16AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.