Re: JBs dudley new owners wrangle about carpark...
Posted by: seventhsea ()
Date: April 07, 2013 06:14PM

As Woody says JBs is done. Its a miracle really it lasted as long as it did as once you got away from the touring acts, the place was empty - even on its 'bread and butter' Friday and Saturday nights. Most Saturday nights (i went every Saturday night at one point) there were less than 50 people in....the only time it filled was for the Guns n Roses and the Bon Jovi tribute bands. Other bands didn't attract audience there at all. One Friday night they booked a Madonna tribute and got 3 people! (all one family). Remember this is a 1000 capacity venue!

One of the main problems was the reputation the place had got as extremely rough locally in Dudley which was due to after the band had finished, admission was given for £1 (prob to try and claw back his loss for the night with bar sales). With nowhere else open in Dudley it attracted the lowest of the low. Once i saw a group of pissed up chavs come in and loudly exclaim that they 'hate f**king rock music' in front of a group of bikers sitting at the bar (i took that opportunity to leave before the bikers promptly tore their heads from their shoulders). For years the rumour/joke locally was the security would frisk you for knives on the way in and if you didnt have one they would hand you one on the grounds that "you need it in there to protect yourself". Some saturdays after 1am it was like the Wild West in there - you daren't look at any of the chavs for a second too long... Once a place gets a bad reputation it affects patronage and lasts - whether justified or not, mud sticks..

With regards to the car park, I dont blame the Zoo at all. As woody points out, as far as im aware JBs never paid the Zoo for the use. The Zoo either turned a blind eye or operated on a 'handshake deal' with Sam (the prev JBs owner) on the grounds that it didn't affect them. 99.9% of JBs use was after the Zoo had shut for the evening. Now with the Indian Banqueting Hall (and their proposed plans to hold conferences there) - it will be in direct competition with the Zoo's visitors. Plus anyone who lives in a predominantly asian neighbourhood (as i do) will tell you the amount of vehicles an asian wedding attracts. They are parked absolutely everywhere around the venue. The Zoo wont want their own customers having problems finding a parking space....

Also don't forget there is the ever recurring plans to redevelop that whole area... I believe they want JBs and the furniture shop (utilising a compulsary purchase order) to be bulldozed as part of a retail park using the zoo car park. The plans resurface every so often... There has also been talk of demolishing the two to build a mosque.

Incidentally people are campaigning to reopen the nearby Bingo Hall as a theatre with a live music venue in the basement...

Steve

(sorry if it was a bit rambling but it is 9.00 on a Sunday morning...)

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2013 07:49PM by seventhsea.

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
JBs dudley new owners wrangle about carpark... 358 rinkytink 04/07/2013 05:48AM
Re: JBs dudley new owners wrangle about carpark... 239 Woody 04/07/2013 07:05AM
Re: JBs dudley new owners wrangle about carpark...166 seventhsea 04/07/2013 06:14PM
Re: JBs dudley new owners wrangle about carpark... 125 Woody 04/07/2013 10:48PM
Re: JBs dudley new owners wrangle about carpark... 127 seventhsea 04/07/2013 11:02PM
Re: JBs dudley new owners wrangle about carpark... 128 seventhsea 04/07/2013 11:04PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.