FM/Vega/Serpentine Review
Posted by: jimg ()
Date: March 20, 2013 10:13AM

This is the first chance I've had to post my thoughts on the above tour. On Sunday night, I was at King Tut's in Glasgow for the Scottish leg of the tour and my wife and I were mighty impressed. I've been fortunate to have seen every line-up of FM and they've yet to let me down. Sunday night was no exception. However, I was a bit surprised at their set list. I thought after last years Indiscreet 25 tour they might've dropped a lot of their older stuff but the bulk of the new set was taken from Indiscreet and Tough It Out with only Closer To Heaven from Aphrodisiac, Over You from Metropolis and Tough Love and Crosstown Train from Rockville. Having released 3 singles from Metropolis, I was surprised that none of them were played. I was equally surprised at the omissions of Blood & Gasoline, Only The Strong Survive and American Girls. Still, they were very impressive and totally entertaining. In my opinion, there really isn't any better all-round singer in the country than Steve Overland who unlike a lot of others, doesn't appear to suffer any ego problems and looks happy just to be part of the band. I would also like to pay tribute to the individual musicianship on show. All five guys played their parts superbly.

I have to say that Vega was probably the one band on the bill that I wanted to see more than the others. Having been blown away by their debut album, their appearance at Firefest a few years back really won me over. At King Tuts, they didn't let me down. From opener Kiss Of Life to set closer Raise Your Hands, they really took no prisoners. Nick Workman is a great frontman who's vocals really help make Vega stand out from the rest. I have to say also that Vega's songs are really perfect for the live arena. You really can't help singing along with the choruses, especially on What The Hell itself which to me sounds like a modern-day Pour Some Sugar On Me. Hopefully it won't be long before they come back.

Serpentine were an inspired choice as opening act. Their classy AOR sound really went down well with the Glasgow crowd and if they can come up with more songs of the calibre of Lonely Nights and Touch Of Heaven, the future will be bright for them. In Matt Black, they have one of the most charismatic frontmen around at the moment.

All in all, a great night out and one of the best bills I've seen in years. I really think that out of the three bands on stage, Vega just stole the honours. Someone really should be looking at getting these guys on a bigger bill, like maybe Bon Jovi as some have mentioned before. I really do think that with a bit of luck, they are the one band who could finally have that crossover appeal into the UK charts. I get the same buzz from them as I did from Little Angels back in the late 80's early 90's.

JimG

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
FM/Vega/Serpentine Review519 jimg 03/20/2013 10:13AM
Re: FM/Vega/Serpentine Review 285 ayrshirethebot 03/20/2013 05:54PM
Re: FM/Vega/Serpentine Review 245 The Fader 03/20/2013 06:43PM
Re: FM/Vega/Serpentine Review 253 leftfield 03/20/2013 06:03PM
Re: FM/Vega/Serpentine Review 262 totobob 03/20/2013 09:33PM
Re: FM/Vega/Serpentine Review 223 Darren In Florida 03/20/2013 09:40PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.