Re: BONRUD
Posted by: PaulBonrud ()
Date: March 06, 2013 05:03AM

Hi there!

First of all, thanks for supporting us and your nice comments about the music. :) "The Phoenix" was one of my faves off the first Bonrud CD (that was Serafino's favorite track prior to me writing "Desperate Heart") and we might add that to the set list for the show. I know my wife would love to hear us play that one. I wrote it for the first Bonrud CD but I was having a hard time getting Dave Hendricks to sing it because it was a little too rocking for him so I had Clyde lay down the vocal for me and once Dave heard that, he suddenly wanted to sing it too. I am not above using reverse psychology to get a song recorded! ;-)

Clyde was an AWESOME singer with a cool voice and had a great range. I always heard a little Robert Plant in his voice but his voice had some unusual characteristics. I don't think he's singing at all anymore. The last thing he recorded was the scratch vocal for "Go" and he was really sick that day. Rick and I actually re-recorded "Go". We demo'd it for the Save Tomorrow CD but it was a bit heavy so we didn't complete it for the CD. We have subsequently finished it and it's pretty cool but still way on the heavy side of what we normally do. Rick and I have a friend who's a cop and we gave him "Go" and that is the song he listens to when rushing off on an emergency call. How cool is that? :)

Clyde had a voice that lended itself to hard rock with his high tenor but in truth, that wasn't where his heart was. He really wanted to sing R&B. I encouraged him to do some of that on the side...it's just that us long haired rocker guys always asked him to join our rock bands and so the vast majority of his music career, he was singing music that wasn't necessarily his first choice. For over 20 years the guy was singing rock but really wanted to sing R&B. Bummer. He actually has a very soulful voice. I told him to listen to more Sam Cooke.

I think you have most of the Battery Kate tunes. There were others that we were working on that we never finished. Really all of that got pushed to the side once Keith Olsen wanted to work on the Bonrud CD with me. One song that I initially wrote for Battery Kate (with Clyde) was "Liquid Sun" which is on the new Bonrud CD (half of the backing vocals on that song are Clyde - Rick's backing voal part is the highest part and the lowest part. Clyde has the two middle parts). I also wrote "Bullet in the Back" for Battery Kate which is also on the new Bonrud CD. "American Dream" on the new Bonrud CD was a song that I began writing for Battery Kate but I had a totally different title for it back then..it was a more aggressive sounding title and while I wrote lyrics with that title in mind, the aggressiveness didn't match the music. Thus, Rick wrote some new lyrics with a new melody. The old version pales in comparison to what Rick and I did. I don't think Battery Kate ever recorded a version of that song with Clyde singing...maybe he was singing my original lyrics as a scratch vocal track while we recorded the demo but I don't even have that.

One thing that you might not know is the drummer for Battery Kate was Paul Higgins who is the drummer for Bonrud. The recording you have of "Listen For The Rain" was a demo we recorded in a friend's basement recording studio in Seattle and that was the first song we ever played on together. He and I have gone on to play on more recordings together on various other projects than either of us has done with any other musician. Kind of cool!

So there you have it. I'll look forward to meeting you in September! :)

Paul

http://www.bonrud.com
http://myspace.com/bonrud
http://facebook.com/bonrud
http://www.youtube.com/paulbonrud

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
BONRUD 421 backwhereubelong 03/06/2013 03:23AM
Re: BONRUD342 PaulBonrud 03/06/2013 05:03AM
Re: BONRUD 207 backwhereubelong 03/06/2013 05:19AM
Re: BONRUD 210 PaulBonrud 03/06/2013 05:24AM
Re: BONRUD 181 backwhereubelong 03/06/2013 05:49AM
Re: BONRUD 205 Pelata 03/06/2013 05:17AM
Re: BONRUD 184 backwhereubelong 03/06/2013 05:21AM
Re: BONRUD 215 PaulBonrud 03/06/2013 05:24AM
Re: BONRUD 196 Pelata 03/06/2013 08:10AM
Re: BONRUD 152 stryper 03/06/2013 09:03PM
Re: BONRUD 101 PaulBonrud 03/07/2013 01:18AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.