Bon Jovi - What About Now - Great First Listen!!!
Posted by: RAMSAY ()
Date: February 20, 2013 09:58PM

Just got a link to listen to this one from Universal (all legal...), and on first spin it's very enjoyable.

Because We Can has grown on me massively and the second track, I'm With You is brilliant - a moody mid tempo rocker that's very similar to the feel of their These Days material and has a cracking Sambora solo. The title track has a Lost Highway vibe and a great chorus with Richie and Jon's voices sounding as good as ever together. Pictures Of You is reminiscent of the best stuff off The Circle and another pounding, contemporary rocker. And that's four tracks without a ballad too!!

That inevitably arrives on the acoustic Amen with lots of strings and a really passionate, impressively soaring vocal from Jon. It's not a style they've done too often, and almost feels like they're trying to channel the spirit of their Hallelujah cover. It's nowhere near as brilliant as that song, but is still a different kind of ballad for the guys without all the love you baby baby lyrics.

That's What The Water Made Me is another anthemic rocker with modern sensibilities and - like everything else - feels really vital and pulses with a great energy. What's Left Of Me begins with some acoustic, country-like picking and builds to another decent chorus. It's another that definitely echoes Lost Highway too. It's catchy enough, but the weakest song up to now, albeit a pleasant enough toe tapper album track. Then there's the fresh feeling Army Of One which has a very unique feel to me. It's a really strong anthem that brought to mind U2 in places and has a great chorus drenched in stadium sized reverb. I just wish Sambora's solo was a little longer, although he gets a few good outro licks in.

Thick As Thieves is another string drenched ballad that initially seemed weak but built some good momentum and has another nice bit of lead work from Richie. As well as another great vocal delivery from Jon. Beautiful World starts off with a vocal flow through the verses that's identical to Matchbox Twenty's All I Need. It's also similar to The Circle tracks and feels very upbeat - the kind of positivity they do so well.

Room At The End Of The World isn't too distinct, kind of a rocking ballad, but I get the feeling it might be a slow burner and did grow on me as I listened. Finally, The Fighter is another acoustic, campfire type track with great harmony vocals for most of it between Jon and Richie. Not bad, not brilliant.

I think the album tails off a touch towards the end and I'd prefer it if they finished with a more high octane track. But overall I really enjoyed it. The production is superb and the band sound thoroughly pumped throughout.

Just to clarify - all of this is based on one listen, typing as I hear it. We all know perceptions change over time and sometimes good first listens mean jack shit. But I'm more impressed with this record than I was expecting. For anyone wanting 80's Bon Jovi and copious guitars then I wouldn't bother. But for those who like their post millenial records, this won't let you down.

----------------------------------------------------------

I know it's "cool" to make fun of celebrities, but jokes aside the stuff aimed at Justin Bieber needs to stop.

That's somebody's daughter.

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Bon Jovi - What About Now - Great First Listen!!!1012 RAMSAY 02/20/2013 09:58PM
Re: Bon Jovi - What About Now - Great First Listen!!! 525 rocknut 02/20/2013 10:25PM
Re: Bon Jovi - What About Now - Great First Listen!!! 569 RAMSAY 02/20/2013 10:39PM
Re: Bon Jovi - What About Now - Great First Listen!!! 502 rocknut 02/20/2013 11:47PM
Re: Bon Jovi - What About Now - Great First Listen!!! 318 Troy 02/21/2013 03:29AM
Re: Bon Jovi - What About Now - Great First Listen!!! 305 Cressy 02/21/2013 06:12AM
Re: Bon Jovi - What About Now - Great First Listen!!! 314 RAMSAY 02/21/2013 07:03AM
Re: Bon Jovi - What About Now - Great First Listen!!! 246 daveok 02/21/2013 12:56PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.