Warrant & some thoughts on the rock
Posted by: Ace ()
Date: November 30, 2000 05:29AM

Hey all...just wondering if anybody knows what's up with Warrant? Their website said about two wks. ago that their new record deal would be finalized by last Friday, so I've been looking everyday, but no update....anybody got any info on what the holdup is (if there is one), who the label is and how many records the deal is for? Also, from what I understand, their new album is basically done and ready to go once they're signed...anybody else got any info on the accuracy of this, or if somebody does know the record deal details, then can you give the estimated release date? It'd driving me nuts cuz it's been SO LONG since Belly 2 Belly came out and they promised a return to a more glam/old style. While on the subject, I think that certain bands from the '80's/early '90's can become a hit again today if they're music is similar in style to a new trend, and not piss off old fans by staying semi-true to their original sound. A case-in-point is Bon Jovi w/It's My Life...whether they want to admit it or not, it is similarish to the current N'Sync/Backstreet Boys sound, but it also remains true to the old days to an extent..thus, it worked with old fans and bacame a monster hit with a whole new younger generation. Aerosmith is able to do this from album to album. Motley did it to a lesser extent with Afraid. Anyways, I think that Warrant could completely take up the "new breed" sound of Lit, Marvelous 3, SR-71 and all of those bands and it could catch on and old fans would actually prefer it to Belly 2 Belly & Ultraphoebic, so it would be a win-win situation. For one of the earlier "hair bands" to capitalize on the current rock sound o/Godsmack, Creed (though they're kinda grunge), Kid Rock, Shit Bisquick, Incubus, or what have you, I just don't think the radio will play it and I don't think the fans will buy it, or that a new generation will take it seriously. I think that the "new breed" sound is the way for these bands to get back onto the radio...Bon Jovi was lucky with what they did. Also, when a band goes completely back to it's original sound, the radio has been a little tough to sell, as Def Lep had a huge hit w/Promises, but nothing else got played...same thing w/Great White & Rollin' Stoned & Dokken w/Maddest Hatter and even Motley w/Hell On High Heels. While they got airplay, it was tough for them to do it and even with them getting airplay, there's no other new bands bringing that sound back to the radio, so it's not gonna last. I swear that 3 Doors Down sounds just like the blues-based hard rock from circa '89-'92....people just don't see it, and that Buckcherry sounded so much like the Black Crowes from the same time period......it just blows me away that these bands can have huge success with a sound that for the most part gets picked on by U.S. radio stations. I'm sure I've completely ran off track here, but it disturbs me that "hair metal" gets such a bad rap.......Anyways, let me know what you think of my "new breed" sound analogy for some of the '80's bands to hit on....I'm not saying it's gonna work for all of them, but bands like Warrant I think it could work for....

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Warrant & some thoughts on the rock62 Ace 11/30/2000 05:29AM
RE: Warrant & some thoughts on the rock 41Robert11/30/2000 08:05AM
RE: Warrant & some thoughts on the rock 40 Ace 11/30/2000 08:38AM
RE: Warrant are not "bubblegum pop/rock" 37 KAOS FAN 11/30/2000 11:08AM
RE: Warrant are not "bubblegum pop/rock" 42Robert12/01/2000 01:31AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.