Who / what defines the real sound of a band?
Posted by: Laurent ()
Date: February 07, 2013 01:18AM

I was listening to some older stuff, and came to realize that sometimes it is not the obvious singer or lead guitarist that really define the sound of a band for me. I find something or someone else equally as important, if not more.

Van Halen: it is obvious that EVH's style and sound defines VH. I also think that AVH's "thrashy" cymbal sound is an almost equally defining element to their sound, something which is not always underlined by their fans.

Whitesnake: Neil Murray's fantastic bass lines during his entire tenure with the band is, to me, the single most unique and defning sound of the band after the obvious DC. Marsden and Moody were brilliant, but the twin-guitar sound was not that much different to that of Wisbhone Ash or Thin Lizzy. However, Neil's bass playing was very different to that of his contemporary. It was influenced by Jack Bruce, but it included a lot of jazz rock as well. He was busy but never intrusive. His bass playing is extremely important IMHO.

Thin Lizzy: To me Brian Downey is a key element to the band's sound. His drumming was not as heavy as that of most of his contemporaries'. He had a lighter groove, not unsimilar to Dave Dowle's, and was more inventive that he is given credit for.

Bon Jovi: JBJ is the sound of the band. I LOVE Tico Torres, and think he is highly underrated. But JBJ and his overall average voice and skills as a singer totally define the band. Sambora is great, and his solo efforts are good, but I think he could be replaced in the band. The band could find a much better singer, but they would really lose their sound. He is by far not my favourite singer, but he is quite unique sounding. I don't know anyone sounding like him. Sambora is much less unique, although he is probably a better musician.

Toto: Without the shadow of a doubt: David Paich. He wrote the best songs and sung a lot of their huge hits. The other are all stellar musicians as well, and legends on their own. But Paich is the one who really defined the sound that the vast majority of people identify with Toto.

I will come with more later....

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Who / what defines the real sound of a band?213 Laurent 02/07/2013 01:18AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.