Re: Groups preferred gigs.
Posted by: Laurent ()
Date: January 28, 2013 05:23PM

How many bands can keep it fresh after 30 years of playing the same songs? There is nothing new. I would love to think that bands are still amazingly excited to play a Greatest Hits show year after year, but that would be naive. Today, the bands work more like a corporate business, chiefly very successful ones.

And, like every one, they have good and bad days. I too would be happier to play in the sun rather in the rain!

What are your expectations? Do you still want to be blown away like when your were 20? Or do you attend gigs to hear the songs and have a good time, and go on a journey through memory lane? Do you still play your favourite sport with the same enthusiasm as when you were younger? Do you still look at your partner they way you used to (I do!!!)? Do you have the same motivation to go to work or party every single day?

I would not have accepted it back it the days, because I would have killed to be on stage and live the lifestyle. I felt they owed it to me to be great and exciting. Today, I want them to be good and play a good gig for me. I do not expect to be blown away. I enjoy the music in a very different way.

I've seen George Benson many, may times over the last 14 years. There was a period were the band went through the motion. However, in the last 5 years, they are again in a great place and the best gigs I have seen took place in the last 3 years. The line-up was the same 90 % of the time. I spoke to him about it, and he agreed. He mentioned he is in a different place, and really enjoying playing again. He recorded 3 albums in 3 years! The fire is back. Why? No particular explanation. That's life :-)

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Groups preferred gigs. 293 dcj 01/28/2013 07:50AM
Re: Groups preferred gigs.168 Laurent 01/28/2013 05:23PM
Re: Groups preferred gigs. 159 rocknut 01/28/2013 07:02PM
Re: Groups preferred gigs. 73 dcj 01/29/2013 08:44PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.