Re: WASP Crimson Idol question about the reissue version...
Posted by: Benno ()
Date: November 21, 2012 11:23AM

I bought the reissue when it came out all the way back when, and was pretty excited about it at the time too. Defo my favourite WASP album, I had that thing on repeat for months on end when I first got a hold of it in '92. I still recall reading their alcohol consumption while recording the album in the liner notes and wondering how they were still alive...I was only just of age at the time and not a big drinker, and very naive to class-A's. I look back now and go "a-ha, now I understand how they got through it all, check" ;-)

Anyway I felt a bit let down by the live stuff, if I recall correctly some of it was recorded at Donnington (MOR possibly?) and it sounded really washed out. I put it down to a poor recording but in retrospect it was probably that being an outdoor venue it was never going to be spot on, even if they did grab it off the soundboard.

Anyway, "Phantoms In The Mirror" is definitely the pick of the bonus tracks, would've fit perfectly on the album with a full production, and "The Eulogy" certainly would've fit also but would've made the album a bit ballad heavy, if that's even possible with WASP lol.

I could take or leave their Zep cover.

One thing to note is I don't think the '98 reissue got the remaster treatment, and it may have since, so keep that in mind if you go looking for it.

Edited to add: Btw if you're into the vibe of Idol then get a hold of Still Not Black Enough, apart from the cover this is a continuation of the Idol in both sound and concept. Again ballad heavy (for WASP) but the rockers are just as dark and firey as the Idol material.

Do a YouTube search for "No Way Out Of Here", probably my favourite track off it.

Cheers and beers

Benno
\m/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2012 11:32AM by Benno.

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
WASP Crimson Idol question about the reissue version... 505 Shade 11/20/2012 08:19AM
Re: WASP Crimson Idol question about the reissue version... 301 timstar 11/20/2012 08:38AM
Re: WASP Crimson Idol question about the reissue version... 271 the ORIGINAL brent 11/20/2012 12:01PM
Re: WASP Crimson Idol question about the reissue version... 279 Probie Sheen 11/20/2012 11:54AM
Re: WASP Crimson Idol question about the reissue version... 267 Aorsweden 11/20/2012 03:42PM
Re: WASP Crimson Idol question about the reissue version...168 Benno 11/21/2012 11:23AM
Re: WASP Crimson Idol question about the reissue version... 129 Shade 11/21/2012 08:10PM
Re: WASP Crimson Idol question about the reissue version... 123 Tony Bainbridge 11/21/2012 08:40PM
Re: WASP Crimson Idol question about the reissue version... 135 Laurent 11/21/2012 10:31PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.