Re: OK...Steve Perry in the studio with us!!
Posted by: Tommy-Denander ()
Date: November 15, 2012 06:52PM

Our engineer Niko Bolas, who is one of the best ever, is a close friend of Steve and when we were setting up in the morning of the first day Steve called Niko...i just heard him say "hey Steve what's up?" and thought he meant Lukather since they are close as well.
Niko said "i think you should come down and check this recording out, it's gonna be a great one" and 30 minutes later Steve walks in with a big smile.
He was truly so blown away by our album that he ended up staying for 5-6 hours, helped arrange backing vocals, he re named one song and just spread to most fun and inspirational vibe you can imagine...he is funny as hell and the same goes for Vinnie Colaiuta and George Hawkins jr on drums and bass that we were tracking with :D
Plus they all know each other since 25-30 years...i haven't laughed so much in many years :)

I had met Steve before but this time we really got to hang and talk which was great...he said that he wants to do some work with me which of course would be amazing and even if it never happens we did do a lot of work during these 2 days together which is enough to make me smile :D
He told us he couldn't come back for the second day because he had a lot of things to take care of but the next morning he walked in again and just said "is it ok if i stay today as well because i woke up this morning and just couldn't stop thinking about what an amazing album you are making and i simply had to come down again"!!!!!

He ended up staying almost the whole day again and really got into working on the songs with us...he was singing a lot of AMAZING harmonies and ad libs live for us in the control room so Niko just said "Steve, i'm setting up a microphone for you to do some backing vocals now...go!"...and he actually started walking towards the big recording room at Capitol, the same room Frank Sinatra did most of his big albums in!...and i just freaked out in my head thinking "are we getting fucking Steve Perry on backing vocals right now!!!!!" haha...
But he stopped himself and very kindly explained that he REALLY would love to do it but there's soooo much talk about IF and WHEN he MIGHT ever do something again etc and he was very careful about not losing the media and fan buzz it will create which of course it will.

But he gave us a big promise to write with me and Vic and sing backing vocals for the next album and i'm gonna hold him to that :D

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
OK...Steve Perry in the studio with us!! 1330 Tommy-Denander 11/15/2012 09:53AM
Re: OK...Steve Perry in the studio with us!! 665 Doug Wolfgang 11/15/2012 10:03AM
Re: OK...Steve Perry in the studio with us!!723 Tommy-Denander 11/15/2012 06:52PM
Re: OK...Steve Perry in the studio with us!! 528 Steve_Roamer 11/15/2012 02:28PM
Re: OK...Steve Perry in the studio with us!! 446 Luca Re Garbagnati 11/15/2012 06:01PM
Re: OK...Steve Perry in the studio with us!! 403 SEAN1 11/16/2012 12:15AM
Re: OK...Steve Perry in the studio with us!! 430 Tommy-Denander 11/16/2012 01:35AM
Re: OK...Steve Perry in the studio with us!! 346 SEAN1 11/16/2012 02:04AM
Re: OK...Steve Perry in the studio with us!! 335 Doug Wolfgang 11/16/2012 02:25AM
Re: OK...Steve Perry in the studio with us!! 198 Chazz 11/17/2012 12:52AM
Re: OK...Steve Perry in the studio with us!! 230 Tommy-Denander 11/17/2012 02:43AM
Re: OK...Steve Perry in the studio with us!! 172 Chazz 11/17/2012 07:36AM
Re: OK...Steve Perry in the studio with us!! 331 cymru 11/16/2012 03:00AM
Re: OK...Steve Perry in the studio with us!! 183 barnsley4 11/17/2012 02:10AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.