RE: Northern Pikes...
Posted by: Don ()
Date: November 23, 2000 04:52AM

Hi Popefreak (geez, what a handle! I feel like I'm dissin' you, LOL!),

The Northern Pikes were a pop/rock/AOR-type band from the 80s. I believe they were Canadian. Their music wasn't AOR in the Survivor/Journey/Foreigner sense of the term. They were more....laid back than that. Picture a laid-back, Canadianized version of pop/rock or power pop in the vein of Mr. Mister or Glass Tiger or The Outfield or something like that, and you'll have a very rough idea as to their sound. The singer's voice was well suited to the music, IMO, and was also rather distinctive. It was fairly high register, I would say, and seemed to lend itself well to harmonies. A friend of mine used to say that he thought the singer sounded like he was whining. I never got that impression at all. People have also said the same thing to me about the Killer Dwarfs' singer, but again, I never bought into that idea. In a sense, the NP and KD vocalists do bear some resemblance to each other.

Unfortunately, I can't for the life of me remember the names of the Northern Pikes albums that I own, or even any of the band's hit singles. But when I get home tonight I'll pull 'em out and let you know. Bottom line: This band never set my world on fire or anything like that, but I'd say that if you can get an album or two used for a good price, they'd definitely be worth checking out. Hope this has been at least reasonably helpful.
Don

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Hey Don/koogles...Northern Pikes? 135 Popefreak 11/23/2000 02:41AM
RE: Northern Pikes...78 Don 11/23/2000 04:52AM
checkout www.allmusic.com ... 98 Big Bow Wow 11/23/2000 05:50AM
RE: Question for Rather Large Canine... 71 Don 11/23/2000 06:50AM
woof woof 70 Big Dog 11/23/2000 10:11AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.