RE: Defending Dokken
Posted by: Rocker Chic ()
Date: November 25, 2000 03:51AM

Apparently, I didn't word my opinion clearly enough, so for that, I apologize. I was not suggesting that Don needs to screech and squeal. Those who know me, know that I hate that kind of singing. (If I wanna hear that, I'll go grab a pig's leg and give it a good tug.)

I was referring more to my perception that Don doesn't appear to be giving it his all anymore. Remember, I really *do* love Dokken, but I have been really disappointed with their last few shows that I'd seen. The professionalism is what seems to be gone; it's almost like they forgot that "performing" is their job, not a hobby. I seriously don't expect them to continuously run rampant on the stage to the point of complete exhaustion every night, but I do expect them to show a little respect and appreciation to their fans. Geez, I can't tell you how many times I had heard Don tell the same story about how Mick had a certain "encounter" with a female fan backstage, yada, yada, yada. That's what I meant about their bad-boy, cock-rock attitude. That was funny to <u>guys</u> maybe about 10 years ago.

Bands who have been in the business as long as they have, should become more polished and professional over the years, not regress back to their late teens/early 20s. They are far too good of musicians and songwriters to start behaving like a garage band (just my best analogy at the moment, I'm not saying that they *sound* as bad as a garage band).

Don's voice is still very good, when he remembers to *use* it. One of the best Dokken shows that I ever saw was one several years ago, when Don had the flu very badly. He said that his throat was killing him, but he still gave the audience one of the smoothest and best performances of his career (as far as I could tell). Lately, he just appears to be a little lazy. Perhaps, there are those days when he feels really into it, so he gives a top-notch performance. However, when you are being <u>paid</u> to perform nightly, it is the artists <u>obligation</i> to *try* to give as much as they can. (Did I explain that a little better this time? Sometimes it's difficult to put into print exactly how you want something to come across to others.)

As for my comment about Slaughter... I was referring more to their performance being more mature and polished, not that they are "personally" classy. I never liked Dana's attitude and sneer either, but when I met him (while he and his girlfriend were doing the tourist-thing here in NYC), he was extremely kind, pleasant, and appreciative toward me. Then again, I've never hung out with the guy. And, for the record, he *did* give me his autograph *free of charge* that day (right, Kieran?).

I do admit that I can only take Mark's voice in small doses as well, but all of the shows I have seen them perform have always been very upbeat, entertaining, and fun. That's what I go to shows for. Two friends of mine who had never heard Slaughter before (and don't like that sort of singing at all) had a great time at that show (Rock Never Stops Tour). They both said that even though they hated Mark's voice, their songs and performances were really fun and they enjoyed it a lot... and would see them again!

That to me, that, in essence, is what going to a rock and roll show should be. In a day when concert prices are skyrocketing at astounding rates, I expect to be "entertained" and walk out with a big smile on my face. Is that so bad?

Rocker Chic

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Re: WINGER-DOKKEN 139 Rocker Chic 11/22/2000 11:53PM
Re: Hey, R.C.!! 85 Don 11/23/2000 11:07AM
Kiefer's voice 86 SC 11/23/2000 01:44PM
Re: Hey, R.C.!! 87 Rocker Chic 11/25/2000 02:54AM
Defending Dokken 92 FANOF1982 11/24/2000 07:24AM
Dokken rules!! 73 Francesco 11/24/2000 07:38PM
RE: Defending Dokken90 Rocker Chic 11/25/2000 03:51AM
Ahh! HTML Run Rampant! 66 Rocker Chic 11/25/2000 05:18AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.