RE: Valensia / Aviary
Posted by: Copious K9 ()
Date: November 15, 2000 07:09AM

Hmmm.

I have never heard a single song from either Valensia or Aviary. From what I have read here, I will probably like both, but I will not know for sure until I have given each a listen. And here is the real stickler, where can I go and listen to these CDs, before I decide to buy them?

There is 0% chance of hearing songs from either group on Houston radio.

There is 0% chance of any local CD retailers having these two CDs in stock, so I will not be able to listen in the store before buying. (I don't know if they do this in England or not, but some US retailer will let you listen to the CD in the store before buying.)

Thus, without the Internet and Napster Valensia and Aviary will not get a single sale from me.

With the Internet and Napster, I can try before I buy. For these two bands since they are not main stream artists with large followings, I may have to look on Napster for awhile before I get to d/l their songs. This could take months.

If I was able to steal their music via Napster, I could make an informed decision about whether the CD was worth the $$$. In the case of a Japanese import, I would be able to tell if it was worth essentially two CDs, a tall order. If I wanted to be a cheap bastard, I could listen to the MP3s solely, which would entail we dragging my PC everywhere I went (or shell out $200 for portable MP3 player). Another issue is that MP3s lack sound quality (a problem that broad band will fix in the few years or so.)

One of the problems of the music industry is artist promotion. The Internet and Napster is providing an alternate, inexpensive channel for promotion. Some people will abuse this oportunity, but most will not.

There are even some artists, like The Offspring, that think that Napster helped them sell more CDs.

In the end, wouldn't you have wanted to hear that Robbie Valentine before you shelled out $30 for it? Should the $30 be your penality for guessing wrong?

enjoy the ride,
BD

BTW, you would be much more likely to steal the Lear Jet from a record exec than from a member of Valensia and Aviary.

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Valensia / Aviary 111 StephenBAllen 11/14/2000 05:55PM
RE: Valensia / Aviary 81Jordan in Jersey11/15/2000 12:04AM
RE: Valensia / Aviary 72 StephenBAllen 11/15/2000 05:10AM
RE: Valensia / Aviary72 Copious K9 11/15/2000 07:09AM
RE: Valensia / Aviary 51 StephenBAllen 11/15/2000 06:15PM
Stephen, check out Wonderland - End Of Bliss ... 63 Copious K9 11/15/2000 01:40AM
thanks for the tip .... (np) 61 StephenBAllen 11/15/2000 05:11AM
RE: Valensia / Aviary ??? 61 Pelpa 11/15/2000 08:30AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.