Opinions? Sure, I've got those.
Posted by: Angus ()
Date: November 11, 2000 02:34AM

I find it hard to believe if you hated the first Steelheart that you'll like the second one (although I guess it's possible since Sven did). The sound just isn't that much different. Personally, I enjoy the first one more because it has a fuller, more "metal" production quality. More oomph for my money. I don't think the songs on Tangled In Reins stand up as well, but they are by no means bad. I don't know who thought the high pitched vocals were less on Tangled, because I see very little difference in Matijevic's vocals from album to album. Particularly the song "Steelheart" from Tangled. Man, that one goes right through me. My guess is that if you didn't like the debut, odds are you'll find the follow-up decent at best. It's just not different enough to make you like it THAT much more than the first.

Kik Tracee is an aquired taste. Somebody used the term "snarling" to describe it, and that would be a good choice. I like the sound of the album because it's got the dirty, L.A.-sleaze sound like L.A. Guns and bands like that, but thanks to Dana Strum's production, it's not as grating. The songs are sleazy but the production is smooth. It's a pretty interesting mix for that reason alone. And the songs themselves are pretty high quality for the genre. More thought than a lot of sleaze rock. The cover of Simon & Garfunkel's "Mrs. Robinson" has to be heard to be believed. It's alternately the worst cover tune I've ever heard and the most interesting cover tune I've ever heard. The machine gun fire in the intro is a wild interpretation. The main thing that keeps this disc from reaching my rotation more often (although ironically it is currently 4th on my stack of what to play next) is Stephen Shareaux's vocals. He's a bit too gargly for my tastes. He strikes me as the kind of guy that has a decent voice but tries too hard to be "expressive" and "unique" and as a result doesn't just SING enough. Still, a worthwhile pick-up.

The Zoo is a dog. I heard the track "Shakin' The Cage" on the radio and thought they were really onto something, but the rest of the album falls way flat. That's the only tune that even remotely rocks, and none of the rest have any sort of personality. I can't even think of any other tunes from it without looking at it first, so I'd say don't waste your time. If you haven't bought it by now, odds are you haven't been missing it.

Don't know the Chrome Molly.

-Later, Angus
NP: Valentine - s/t

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Should i get these old albums? 148 Jason 11/10/2000 02:58PM
RE: Should i get these old albums? 95Kris11/10/2000 03:01PM
RE: Should i get these old albums? 115 Rob 11/10/2000 05:24PM
RE: Should i get these old albums? 84 Francesco 11/10/2000 07:28PM
RE: Should i get these old albums? 106 Pelpa 11/10/2000 09:12PM
Opinions? Sure, I've got those.78 Angus 11/11/2000 02:34AM
oops 103 Angus 11/11/2000 02:36AM
RE: oops 71 Sven 11/13/2000 08:23PM
RE: oops 110 Sharon 11/14/2000 11:27PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.