RE: Classic rock artists doing right by fans?
Posted by: Angus ()
Date: November 08, 2000 04:18AM

I think it's safe to say that bands on a whole are producing more work. It's a trend (re)started by Pearl Jam, who try and get a new studio release once a year. Other bands have followed suit (witness the recent Limp Bizkit release which comes about 18 months after their last one) and it seems on the overall we're seeing more bands head back into the studio after a quick world tour rather than the year-and-a-half/two-year monster tours that we saw in the 80's.

Over on the Melodic Rock side, you're correct in that we're also seeing alot of smaller projects put out to release by artists who are already established. I must say, I'm digging this trend. Sure, some might argue that the market is being flooded, but in most cases they're releasing works that they know will only appeal to the hardcore fan base. And when was the last time a hardcore fan ever said of his/her favorite band, "I wish they'd slow done. They put out too many albums."

The other thing I really LOVE about this trend is that by putting out more material, you're giving the fans more of a voice in what they like and don't like. Take Metallica for example. They released Load back in 96, which was a full album. But they said at the time they had enough for two albums worth, and sure enough, they released ReLoad a year later. Most fans preferred the stuff on ReLoad, although I'm sure neither Metallica nor the record company thought that would happen at the time. Thankfully they didn't sit on those songs and the fans got to hear them and voice their opinion on which album was better.

Nothing frustrates me more than hearing a band went into the studio with 20 songs written and only recorded 10 or 11 for release. Sure, maybe the band and the A&R guy thought they were the ten best songs, but what do they know? It's the fans who ultimately will decide whether or not something is worth producing, and we can't know until we hear it.

One of the great things about the internet and the advent of MP3's is that (and we're just beginning to scratch the surface here) bands can now demo their stuff and release it online so true fans can hear it. From there they can have a better idea of which tunes the fans really want to see recorded and released on albums. While some might argue this is the point of the "live" experience, the simple fact is not all fans get to see their favorite bands live. And even then, the song may lose something in the live transition. Plus, there are many fans like me who don't see that many live shows but spend gobs of money on albums.

For those bands that I REALLY LOVE... the ones who I never get tired of listening to, there can never be enough new material. Sure, not all of it ends up being great or even standing the test of time, but at the time it comes out it's food for my soul just to be able to hear new tunes from a cool band. Thank God the days of the 80's when we had to wait 2-3 full years in between releases are passed. What I wouldn't give for a full return to the 70's when bands like Kiss had a platter of new music every 10-14 months.

-Later, Angus
NP: Marvelous 3 - Ready Sex Go

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Classic rock artists doing right by fans? 82 Jake 11/08/2000 12:08AM
RE: Classic rock artists doing right by fans?50 Angus 11/08/2000 04:18AM
RE: Classic rock artists doing right by fans? 68Ace11/08/2000 04:46AM
You don't say... 71 Angus 11/08/2000 06:58AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.