Classic rock artists doing right by fans?
Posted by: Jake ()
Date: November 08, 2000 12:08AM

An observation here:

Back in the 70's, rock bands tended to release albums rather quickly. Part of that, I think, was because their weren't enough buyers to make record sales sky-rocket like they do today. The big money was made on tour, so albums were made quickly so the band could get out on the road. (Touring is still major, but I think there are more people buying CD's, too.)

Then, somewhere down the line bands started taking more time in the studio. It could be years between releases. (Or a decade if you're a fan of Jeff Beck, but I digress.) This left fans hungering for anything we could get our hands on which might be expensive imports, expensive bootlegs, etc. Or, we just waited for the band to make their "perfect" record. (Def Leppard comes to mind.)

But some of my favorite artists are appearing to give back more to the fans. Michael Schenker is the first example. In the last few years he's been releasing CD's that aren't exactly mass market. He's done two instrumental albums in rather quick order. The latest is basically a compilation of riffs which is really a CD for hard-core fans. I think that's great.

Ynqwie Malmsteen is another. Alchemy, The War To End All Wars and his Concerto are all very recent releases that didn't take years to produce.

Glenn Hughes has even started his own label to release stuff that probably wouldn't be popular in your local record store. The first release was stuff he's had sitting around that didn't find a home. Next up is a Christmas CD. Plus he's got his fingers in a couple of different projects, not to mention a couple of recent solo CD's.

All this reminds me of the days when you might get two albums a year out of a band. I don't know if it's just coincidence that the artists I've mentioned are "old-timers" who have been around for awhile. Maybe they just have a better appreciation for the fans after all these years. Maybe they're just broke and need the extra income.

I don't follow many new bands, so I don't know if they follow the same idea or are still locked into releasing albums every couple of years.

So, is it just me or are we seeing a trend towards artists realizing we want all we can get whether it's official recordings or unreleased live stuff or unreleased studio stuff?

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Classic rock artists doing right by fans?81 Jake 11/08/2000 12:08AM
RE: Classic rock artists doing right by fans? 49 Angus 11/08/2000 04:18AM
RE: Classic rock artists doing right by fans? 66Ace11/08/2000 04:46AM
You don't say... 70 Angus 11/08/2000 06:58AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.