RE: Another religious rant...
Posted by: Don ()
Date: November 04, 2000 01:16PM

Be forewarned everyone, this rant consists entirely of religious discussion and opinion. If you're offended or put off by such posts, please don't read any further.

Lil Al, I wrote this in response to your post...

"Sir,"

...Geez, not even my students call me that. Thanks! It somehow makes me feel important. ;-)

"I really liked your post; very informative."

...Well, I'm glad that at least someone found it to be so. After I wrote it I kinda found myself wondering WHY I wrote it. Know what I mean?

"But I was raised Catholic, until I got older and started asking questions...."

...For me, you have just hit the nail on the head. I REALLY don't want to offend anyone, but since all of this has come up, I've just gotta share these thoughts: From my experience, the Catholic Church does not take too well to its members asking questions. It would rather that they followed like sheep, never questioning, and trusting in the Church's leaders unconditionally. When I stated that I am a Christian, I did not mean that I am THAT kind of a Christian. I am not trying to come off as "holier than thou," but I do firmly believe that God gave us our brain and intellect so that we could use them in an effort to search for His truth. Questioning, discussing, reflecting, pondering, interpreting and, ultimately, deciding what that truth is, is, I believe, a crucial part of that search. To each their own, but personally, I could never be a part of any religious organization that discouraged me from reading, researching, learning, and being a part of that search.

"now I'm 42 and I believe that most religions are for weak minded individuals."

...We'll have to agree to disagree here. IMO, SOME religions are for weak-minded individuals. And some encourage their followers to be or become weak-minded individuals. But I believe that you are HUGELY mistaken if you are lumping all Christians into this category as a result of your Catholic upbringing. Again, though, that's just my opinion.

"Oh, I believe in God, Jesus did walk the earth."

...Yep, that's pretty much an "historic fact," if there is such a thing. Few would dispute Jesus' existance.

"But when MAN gets involved thats when the trouble starts........The Pope just apologized for the Holocaust, so when do they get around to saying 'Sorry about those Crusades'."

...I know exactly what you are saying here. Throughout history, a tremendous amount of evil has been committed in God's name. And it's still happening. But that is not what I believe God wants. Furthermore, although I am reluctant to point this out (and I suspect that I am REALLY gonna make some enemies here), but by which church has the overwhelming majority of this evil has been committed? Think about it a moment. Now, I am not by any stretch of the imagination claiming that the Catholic Church is the only church that is guilty or that struggles with corruption. On the contrary, I fully realize that there are many churches out there that have been filled with corruption for many, many years. But (again, I've come this far, so I've just gotta say this:) in my mind, the Catholic Church is far more guilty than the other churches. I mean, even the very idea of a pope and papal infallibility (spelling?) is offensive to me. This guy is as human as you and I, and he is certainly fallible. I will spare you the details, but, based on the research that I've done in my lifetime, I have come to the conclusion that this whole notion is absolutely NOT biblical (along with Purgatory, and several other Catholic ideas). Rather, it's an invention devised to help control the masses. Personally, I am very bothered when people equate Christianity with the Catholic church. Now, I'm not an idiot. I fully understand why it happens (it's a HUGE organization), but it still bothers me.

"I know it sounds like a Monty Python skit but Mans Inhumanity to his fellow man pisses me off bigtime...."

...Again, I hear what you are saying and agree. But think about it this way: if people actually did follow God's commandments and Christ's example, this world would be a MUCH different place. (As you said in your closing, "Be Excellent to each Other.") Religion and Christianity DO have their place. And no matter how many problems you or I might have with a specific church or with a specific group of Christians, and no matter how many hypocrites there may be out there attending church on a regular basis as a front for their corrupt lifestyles, and no matter how much tele-evangelists might make a mockery of the Christian religion, those are not valid reasons to dismiss or "write off" Christianity. The way I see it, each person can only worry about his or her own self and his or her own relationship with God. It's like I tell my students at school: 'Don't concern yourselves with other people's behaviour. You can't control it. Just make sure that your own behaviour is what it should be."

The bottom line: So many people terminate their relationships with God and/or the church because of a bad experience (and those come in a zillion different varieties). But, in my mind, this would be just like giving up on buying music because you bought a turd of a CD (and we've all bought our fair share of those!). As frustrating and crushing as a bad experience might be (whether it be with CD purchasing or the church), is a learning opportunity. IMO, it should just cause a person to be that much more careful and committed to weeding out the bullsh*t. Indeed, rather than causing one to give up, it should just make a person that much more diligent in his/her search for the "good stuff," 'cuz the good stuff is definitely out there! Here's hoping we all find it.

And speaking of good stuff (and on a music note), the new Praying Mantis album "Forever In Time" is rocking my world right now. It's simply incredible. Classy metal with crystal clear, clean vocals (remniscent of John Wetton), and more melody than I ever expected to hear on a metal release. We have a winner here!

Anyhow, I'd better step down off my soapbox before I break my neck. For those of you who were offended by this, I do apologize. In almost three years of posting here, I have never made a secret of the fact that I'm a Christian, but I've also never preached before. I guess there's a first time for everything.
Don

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
On a dark desert highway....... 146Jack11/02/2000 05:51PM
RE: On a dark desert highway....... 101 Lil Al 11/02/2000 08:20PM
RE: On a dark desert highway....... 115 Rogue 11/02/2000 09:42PM
RE: On a dark desert highway....... 102 Susumu 11/02/2000 10:04PM
The song & satanism-more than you ever thought 117 Don 11/03/2000 02:29PM
RE: The song & satanism-more than you ever tho 112 Lil Al 11/04/2000 08:04AM
RE: Another religious rant...92 Don 11/04/2000 01:16PM
RE: Another religious rant... 120 Lil Al 11/04/2000 02:47PM
RE: On a dark desert highway....... 120 sfk kurt 11/02/2000 10:03PM
RE: On a dark desert highway....... 96Captain Chaos11/02/2000 11:25PM
RE: On a dark desert highway....... 120 Greasy Bananabuns 11/03/2000 05:34AM
RE: On a dark desert highway....... 111 Big Bow Wow 11/03/2000 01:26AM
RE: On a dark desert highway....... 90joe11/03/2000 01:44AM
It's true! 119Captain Chaos11/03/2000 02:29AM
RE: It's true! 113 Stimpy 11/03/2000 03:14AM
RE: On a dark desert highway....... 102Paul11/03/2000 03:28AM
Bad news Paul! 109Captain Chaos11/03/2000 04:07AM
RE: Bad news Paul! 96 Tinger 11/03/2000 05:50AM
Thank you Tinger! 105Captain Chaos11/03/2000 06:22AM
RE: On a dark desert highway....... 101 Richard 11/03/2000 06:46AM
RE: On a dark desert highway....... 103 rtz 11/03/2000 01:12PM
I am finding great amuzement in your post ... 105 Big Bow Wow 11/04/2000 03:00AM
RE: On a dark desert highway....... 257John Q11/03/2000 04:51PM
Curiousity 100Captain Chaos11/03/2000 11:12PM
RE: Curiousity 114John Q11/04/2000 11:56AM
RE: The story... 109 Don 11/04/2000 01:26PM
RE: Kansas 100loo loo11/04/2000 06:06AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.