RE: My thoughts on this band...
Posted by: Don ()
Date: October 26, 2000 10:21AM

I really liked 'em in the '80s. Albums like "War," "The Unforgettable Fire" and "The Joshua Tree" were, IMO, quite brilliant. But the band's sound has changed a great deal since then. I respect their decision to try to grow and develop, but that doesn't mean that I've enjoyed their recent albums (I haven't!). I mean, in the same way that there are a lot of people out there who'd love Harem Scarem to write "Mood Swings Vol. 2," there are probably even more people out there who'd love U2 to write "War 2" or "Joshua Tree 2." But I am positive that it's never gonna happen, and I'm fine with that. This is where that whole "originality is over-rated" thing that I've raved about in the past comes into play for me. I have tons of respect for U2 for trying to evolve and for not stagnating and for trying to do something original. But if I'm gonna be perfectly honest, I can't say that their "new" sound(s) have done anything at all for me. For me, music doesn't have to be particularly creative or original for me to enjoy it. It just has to be melodic and appeal to my particular tastes (ie., strong vocals, lots of hooks,.and harmonies help). Anyways, I've gotta go now so take care all.
Don

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
U2 .. beautiful day 117 Geoff 10/24/2000 03:10PM
RE: U2 .. beautiful day 78 Andrew 10/24/2000 08:09PM
RE: My thoughts on this band...84 Don 10/26/2000 10:21AM
RE: My thoughts on this band... 69 Susumu 10/26/2000 08:50PM
RE: Hi Susumu/Fave U2 albums... 81 Don 10/28/2000 12:59AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.