My take....
Posted by: Jack ()
Date: October 23, 2000 03:54AM

The thing about the worth of rare CDs is, it's all in your mind. It's a stupid head trip. You could find, for instance, the Refugee CD (which I understand is wildly sought after) for 5 dollars and think you just made the purchase of the year. But the guy behind the counter is looking at you thinking, "What a stupid sucker, he took that shit nobody wanted for FIVE bucks". So you see, it's all very relative.

We're not talking about gold & diamonds here, things that have an accepted value the world over. The rarity and worth of these AOR CDs is extremely relative. Meaning, it depends on whether you find it within the AOR circle or not. If you find it outside the AOR circle, it will cost you peanuts, while inside the AOR circle you will get suckered. Personally, I think it's a load of dung (I was going to say, "load of smegma", then thought better of it). Nobody outside the circle of obsessive AOR fans gives two shriveled shits about these discs, they're worth nothing. No one cares about these little AOR groups. It's not like an autographed Hendrix guitar or something of recognized value that will fetch a real world price.

But then again, it takes two to tango, and if AOR Treasures or whoever is going to charge you anywhere from 50 to 150 dollars for a CD and you pay for it, then you deserve it.

Me, I stopped buying expensive "collectors items". It's so much mental masturbation, "oh, oh, I have thios gem no one else has!! It's sooo rare, ooooh". See, more often than not, these rare releases are fairly mediocre or no big deal. I'm pretty compulsive myself, so I got burned several times buying hyped rarities at completely warped prices. But no more. What a bunch of shit. Remember, AOR specialty stores will only rip you off with rarities because AOR fans will slobber over the prospect of owning them and gladly hand over the cash, but they're really worth very little.

I remember buying Robert Tepper's first CD for 3 dollars in San Diego, while I've seen it being sold for 50 or 75 dollars. Carl was mentioning a simple example. What the hell is that?

It's all very relative, and the grossly inflated worth and excitement is all in your head. Thankfully, you can now listen to many o these rarities over Napster and give the AOR stores the finger when they try to take dispropportionate amounts of money away from you.

Cheers,
Jack.

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
what is a rare cd worth? 91 wayne 10/22/2000 06:35AM
RE: what is a rare cd worth? 68 Carl 10/22/2000 09:26AM
RE: what is a rare cd worth? 54 wayne 10/22/2000 12:42PM
RE: what is a rare cd worth? 62 Carl 10/22/2000 07:26PM
My take....54Jack10/23/2000 03:54AM
RE: what is a rare cd worth? 57Gav10/23/2000 06:47AM
RE: what is a rare cd worth? 60Captain Chaos10/24/2000 05:26AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.