RE: It's funny...
Posted by: Don ()
Date: October 20, 2000 05:59AM

...that Firehouse's name came up during a discussion on Danger Danger. I, too, see them as being reasonably similar bands from pretty much the same era. Both are ultra-melodic. And that, Mr. Pool, is (I believe) the attraction that these bands hold for so many people. You are right in saying that D2's s/t debut album is lacking in originality. The musicianship is probably nothing to write home about either. But what it lacks in these areas it more than makes up for by way of totally infectious songs. I have to agree with DD Dave when he lists tracks like "Bang Bang" and "Rock America" - they lodge themselves in my brain after one listen and stay there for days (or should I say "daze"?!). The ballads on the album rank as some of my favorite power ballads of all time. And then there's Ted Poley's voice. I realize that he's not in the same league as guys like Steve Perry, Lou Gram, Mark Free, etc, Yet, there's something about it that I just happen to really enjoy. It's a totally personal thing. I also really like Paul Laine's voice, and I like the D2 albums he's made. But to me, they just don't sound like D2. In the same way, Rainbow doesn't sound like Rainbow to me without RJ Dio. I like the Joe Lynn Turner stuff, but I almost don't think of it as Rainbow. Know what I mean?

Anyways, I can appreciate what both of you are saying. It is great, in this day and age, to hear bands like D2 doing albums like "Gildersleeves." But it's also important to remember where albums like that got their grounding (albums like D2's s/t debut). My recommendation is that you put it away for a while and then pull it out in a week or two to give it another spin or two. Maybe even try to forget that it's the same band. Anyhow, I've gotta go for now. Take care.
Don

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Danger Danger....then & now 111 Mrpool 10/20/2000 02:12AM
RE: Danger Danger....then & now 91 DD Dave 10/20/2000 03:51AM
RE: It's funny...88 Don 10/20/2000 05:59AM
RE: It's funny... 77 DD Dave 10/20/2000 07:45AM
RE: Danger Danger....then & now 68 KAOS FAN 10/20/2000 11:19AM
Speaking of Danger Danger .. 75 Rammy 10/20/2000 09:50PM
RE: Speaking of Danger Danger .. 73 Steve 10/20/2000 10:25PM
Danger Danger/Firehouse/Warrant 86 Sven 10/20/2000 10:33PM
RE: Danger Danger/Firehouse/Warrant 75 Travis 10/21/2000 03:06AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.