RE: David Coverdale's Into The Light - Vandenberg
Posted by: Jimmy ()
Date: October 19, 2000 03:57AM

I don't believe that the new Coverdale album is that great or even good. Although he has gone to the bluesy based songs, but the arrangements of the songs are not impressive at all. Only one or two songs were enjoyable, just like the Coverdale/Page record.

I, personally, love Whitesnake's music to this day, and i think Coverdale is a great singer and song writer, but to say that Vandenberg is bad player and didn't make Whitesnake a success? I have to disagree totally! Vandenberg is an excellent player and a great song-writer.

Vandenberg's writing and playing is based on melodies that provide smooth flow of the music with the lyrics. His solo albums in the past clearly show that, and seeing his solos in concerts clearly show that, too. Vai's playing on "Slip of the Tongue", didn't fit at all. Too much effects that killed the original concepts behind the songs, and Nobody will ever know what Vandenberg's playing would have been on the album.

With the albums in the later years, the market for this music..well, there wasn't any market for it. Restless Hearts was an ok album, much slower, but I think that is due to the fact that Coverdale's writing has always been this way. Again, don't compare the hay-days of the 80's with today! There is no way in hell that Coverdale and any guitar player or players can top the 1987 album. Not even Sykes. Sykes is a excellent player on his own rights.

I wish Vandenberg would put something out so he can show you what he can really do.

Jimmy

Laurent wrote:
-------------------------------
Dear all,

I'm glad to see that I am not far off the mark with my comments ! LOL.

To be very honest, I think that Coverdale made his best music with the classic WS line-up of Murray, Marsden, Moody, Lord and Paice. I think they really captured what Whitesnake was all about. Those guys were the perfect vehicle for Coverdale's voice and their music was original. Of course, this line-up is less appealing to American listeners than the one with John Sykes, which was great as well (but by now you must know that as soon as Murray's in I consider a band as being great !!! LOL).

Andrew soon will post an interview I did with Neil Murray in London and you'll see that it is very unlikely that the classic line-up will reunite even for a one off show.

I was always impressed to see how important Coverdale co-writers have been. They all left their mark on the music If we take the different periods of the band they are hardly comparable. But there is always a logical evolution from the b....

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
David Coverdale's Into The Light - Vandenberg 180 Laurent 10/18/2000 05:37PM
RE: David Coverdale's Into The Light - Vandenberg 106Robert10/18/2000 11:29PM
John Sykes and David Coverdale 114Captain Chaos10/18/2000 11:35PM
RE: David Coverdale's---What is J Sykes doing now? 132loo loo10/19/2000 11:24AM
What is J Sykes doing now? 120 Andrew 10/19/2000 12:37PM
RE: What is J Sykes doing now? 118loo loo10/19/2000 01:32PM
RE: What is J Sykes doing now? 118 Maciej 10/19/2000 11:27PM
RE: What is J Sykes doing now? 96loo loo10/20/2000 12:05AM
RE: David Coverdale's Into The Light - Vandenberg 106 Jordan in Jersey 10/18/2000 11:34PM
RE: David Coverdale's Into The Light - Vandenberg 116 Jake 10/19/2000 12:38AM
RE: David Coverdale's Into The Light - Vandenberg 93 Laurent 10/19/2000 01:44AM
RE: David Coverdale's Into The Light - Vandenberg 135Jimmy10/19/2000 03:56AM
RE: David Coverdale's Into The Light - Vandenberg104Jimmy10/19/2000 03:57AM
RE: David Coverdale's Into The Light - Vandenberg 129 Daniel 10/19/2000 07:10AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.