RE: JOURNEY OVERKILL!
Posted by: Kevin ()
Date: October 06, 2000 03:27PM

KAOS FAN wrote:
-------------------------------
As a self-confessed Journey fan, I can't help but be amazed at the Journey overkill on this and other boards. If there is one thing I abhor it's when artists continously delay their release and when the album is finally released it doesn't come close to fulfilling expectations. Who will ever forget VAN HALEN'S monstrosity 3 with Gary Cherone. And from what I've heard the new Journey is not in the class of Departure, Frontiers etc.

As you said, I guess it comes down to personal opinion, but I've heard Arrival enough to rate it as one of their overall best cds. Sure, I would have preferred a killer rock cd, but when it's as good as it is, I'm not complaining too much. So does it fulfill my expectations? Well, it isn't the huge rock cd that was promised, but with that said, for what it is, I doubt it could be much better and there are a few songs--like "signs of life"-- that I would rank equal with anything they have done in the past as far as "classic" status goes.

Meanwhile, absolute gems like the new HEARTLAND barely rate a mention - easily superior to Journey's Arrival but without all the big ballyhoo! Or Danger Danger's "Gildersleeves" - an absolute classic and but for Andrew's(webmaster) glowing review it too may have slipped under the cracks! I'd also put House of Shakira's latest as well as Lana Lane's "Secrets of Astrology" in the same category!

Personal opinion, but I never thought Heartland as "A" quality before. They have some impressive moments, but are missing something I can't quite put my finger on. I have the Miracles By Design cd and there are some parts I like a lot, and then others that just don't grab me. That isn't anything hugely wrong with them, but not much that I find outstanding either.

House of Shakira, on the other hand, is definitely one of my favorites of the new bands. To me, they still haven't peaked yet but are getting quite a repetoire of classic material and Andreas Eklund is becoming quite a killer vocalist (some of his work on III is just incredible). Fair Warning, Dare, Ten/Gary Hughes solo/Bob Catley, and a few others can also hit that classic peak. The Storm could also hit that level a lot even though I find Two Fires rather average at times.

I can see your point that Journey shouldn't be given a huge amount of conversation just because they are coming out with a new cd, but I will rave about anything I hear that is worth raving about--and for me, the Journey cd is worth it. What I have found rather amazing here is that the problem people have with the cd is the overabundance of ballads--not the quality of songs. People didn't like VH3 because they thought the songs just weren't really there to begin with, which is the kiss of death for any cd, no matter who the band is. It shall be interesting to read the reviews once Andrew sets up his page for the Journey cd because the majority what I have read so far has been overwhelmingly positive.

Does it dissappoint me that some of the other bands aren't raved about also when they produce a killer cd though? Yea....but I don't know how to change it except posting when I find something that is really impressive and hoping someone with an open mind gets a chance to read it and decides to check the band out for themselves. The music is out there--you just have to find it.

Kevin

NP: Fair Warning - Go! ..... still the best from these guys, IMO.

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
JOURNEY OVERKILL! 144 KAOS FAN 10/06/2000 01:21PM
RE: JOURNEY OVERKILL!167 Kevin 10/06/2000 03:27PM
RE: JOURNEY OVERKILL! 98 Eric 10/06/2000 10:49PM
RE: JOURNEY OVERKILL! 70 sfk kurt 10/06/2000 11:38PM
RE: JOURNEY OVERKILL! 90 Carl 10/07/2000 02:34AM
RE: JOURNEY OVERKILL! 89 KAOS FAN 10/07/2000 12:51PM
RE: JOURNEY OVERKILL! 116 Carl 10/08/2000 01:26AM
RE: JOURNEY OVERKILL! 120Gav10/08/2000 04:00AM
RE: JOURNEY OVERKILL! 76Surfpunk10/08/2000 05:57AM
RE: JOURNEY OVERKILL! 90 Carl 10/08/2000 08:43PM
RE: JOURNEY OVERKILL! 82 Andrew Paul 10/09/2000 05:32PM
RE: JOURNEY OVERKILL! 72 sfk kurt 10/11/2000 04:45AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.