RE: Some info...
Posted by: Don ()
Date: October 01, 2000 10:59AM

Oh man, here we go: You've just got me started on one of my favorite bands to discuss - Q5. It all started back in the mid '80s, when I was buying Hit Parader and pretty much every other metal magazine religiously. I saw an ad for a compilation tape that HP had put together and were selling. I couldn't resist ordering it. When I heard Q5's "Pull the Trigger" from that tape, I was completely dumbfounded. No kidding, that song just stopped me in my tracks and messed with my head. Never before had I heard vocals like Jonathan K.'s. This guy has a set of pipes that has to be heard to be believed. He could castrate a rabid, charging rhino at 90 paces. His vocals can be so raspy, that they make Brian Johnson (AC/DC) sound like Bing Crosby and Dan McCafferty (Nazareth) sound like Harry Belefonte. One listen to this song and you would SWEAR that he must gargle with chainsaws and feed on broken glass. (And when I describe his voice as being harsh and abrasive, I'm not talking like your typical run-of-the mill death metal vocalist. He doesn't have that muddy, indistinguishable growl that makes him sound like the Cookie Monster. Rather, he has that classic metal scream.). Yet, surprisingly, very few of Q5's songs feature this incredibly raspy side of his voice. A lot of the time, he tones it down a lot. No matter how he's singing, though, Jonathan K.'s voice is one of the best in metal. The band also features legendary guitarist Floyd Rose (yep, the inventor of the whammy bar bearing the same name). Floyd is a guitar player's guitar player. He can really rip it up.

Musically, Q5's first album, "Steel the Light," is a lot heavier than its follow-up, "When the Mirror Cracks". "StL" is classic metal that combines that NWOBHM sound with the classic American metal sound (think Metal Church, Lizzy Borden, etc.). This is one of my all-time fave metal albums, and IMO, a necessary part of any self-respecting rivet head's collection. (Can you say AAAAaaaaaarrrrrrgggggggg???????!!!!!!!!!!!!) Like I said, "WtMC" is considerably lighter than its predecessor, probably falling into the MHR category rather than metal (perhaps even AOR at times). FYI, the band regrouped a few years ago, changed their name to Nightshade, and pretty much returned to their original sound. Bottom line: If you love metal, get your hands on a copy of "Steel the Light."

The Storm - I'll make this simpler and shorter: If you love Journey, you NEED this album. The booklet that accompanies the "Time 3" Journey boxed set says it best...
"[After leaving Journey,] Rolie, Valory, and Smith regrouped in 1991 into a band called the Storm along with a guitarist who sounded suspiciously like Neal Schon and a vocalist bearing an uncanny resemblance to Steve Perry."

Personally, I don't think that the Storm sounds THAT much like Journey, but it's definitely the same basic style of music. Vocalist Kevin Chalfant has a really, really good voice and the band's songwriting is consistently top-notch. Very classy AOR.

I own the Tall Stories album (featuring Steve Augeri) and let's just say that I'm glad I didn't pay top dollar for it. It's a fine album, I guess, but the songwriting is very mediocre, IMO. There's not one song that stands out in my mind as being at all memorable.

Personally, I can't honestly say I'm a big fan of John Waite or RTZ either, but I know that many people will differ with me on that one.

Hope this has helped.
Don

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Need ingo´s on artists! 158 Alex siedler 09/30/2000 08:55PM
RE: Need ingo´s on artists! 174 Francesco 09/30/2000 09:33PM
RE: Some info...117 Don 10/01/2000 10:59AM
Q5 / John Waite 125Steve, Denmark10/02/2000 05:27AM
RE: A few comments re. your comments... 104 Don 10/02/2000 11:11AM
Q5 100 Benno 10/03/2000 09:43AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.