Diamonds in the Rough
Posted by: DD Dave ()
Date: September 29, 2000 01:25AM

Since my jazz/classical topic went over about as well as a Lead Zeppelin, I thought I'd try to redeem myself.

What are some of the best melodic rock albums that are widely unknown that you think even some of those here might not know about? What are the diamonds in the rough? I'll take a shot with some of mine. Some of these, most of you will know about, but for the benefit of those who don't, it's worth mentioning them!

White Sister - s/t - Maybe it's just me, but I still like this as well as any House of Lords album!

Blue Tears - s/t - I don't know if anyone, including Def Leppard, has matched the combo of power and incredible melody and harmony found on this one. Sounds a lot like Bon Jovi and Def Leppard, but maybe better...

BB Steal - On the Edge - this is really a nice little album. Sounds like a cross between Def Leppard and INXS if you can believe that... Phil Collen and Pete Woodroffe aided in the production of this one.

Aldo Nova - Subject - again, maybe it's just me, but I thought this was by far and away the best Aldo Nova album.

Tokyo Blade - Night of the Blade - this has always been one of my favorite cult classics.

Glen Burtnick - Heroes and Zeroes - everyone who enjoys AOR should have this album!

Some Christian artists (people seem to assume that Stryper was the best Christian AOR had to offer - they definitely were NOT - all of the following are way above Stryper IMO):

Shout - In Your Face and It Won't Be Long - both very good albums by the group fronted by Ken Tamplin. Tamplin's voice is so classic, he was asked to be the singer for both Foreigner and Van Halen at different times.

X-Sinner - Get It - compares to AC/DC Back in Black and Def Lep High and Dry. Though it is not quite as good as those, it comes close!

Nouveaux - Beginnings - this again has a Def Leppard influence, but with more harmonies, and the singer sounds like the Christian singer Michael W. Smith. Very good stuff, a little on the lighter side.

Guardian - Fire and Love - classic AOR!

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Diamonds in the Rough132 DD Dave 09/29/2000 01:25AM
RE: Diamonds in the Rough 99alex siedlre09/29/2000 02:04AM
RE: Diamonds in the Rough 109Robert09/29/2000 02:48AM
RE: Diamonds in the Rough 82 sfk kurt 09/29/2000 03:33AM
RE: Diamonds in the Rough 89 Daniel 09/29/2000 07:27AM
RE: Diamonds in the Rough 90 Dan 09/29/2000 02:38PM
RE: Diamonds in the Rough 105 Sven 09/29/2000 04:25PM
RE: Diamonds in the Rough 69 Rob 09/30/2000 01:16AM
Sand Rubies (np) 94 Big Dog 10/01/2000 02:11AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.