RE: All you ever wanted to know about a great band
Posted by: Don ()
Date: September 29, 2000 02:04PM

Hi Robert,

First, let me say that I just cruised on in here from Andrew's newsdesk after reading the report that Brighton Rock were gonna be playing together again. I AM STOKED!!!!! Gerald McGhee actually posted on this board back in the summer of '99 (or was it '98?) and indicated at that time that, although the guys in the band were still friends, they had ABSOLUTELY no plans to re-unite. This change of attitude is fabulous news.

And now on to your questions. It's funny that you should mention Honeymoon Suite and Harem Scarem in your post, because I would describe BR's first album, "Young, Wild & Free" as kind of a cross between those two bands. Imagine songwriting that's similar to a lot of the material on Honeymoon Suite's s/t debut, and songs like "Bad Attitude", etc. mixed with the vocal aggressiveness of Harod Hess of Harem Scarem, and you get the idea. It's not that the music on "YW&F" is really all that heavy, but Gerald McGee has one h*ll of a set of pipes! He's got a really, really raspy voice that sounds a little like Sebastian Bach when he's singin' in the lower register, and kinda like a Tom Keifer (Cinderella)/Harold Hess/Joe Elliot hybrid when he's singin' in the higher register. The guy's voice can REALLY soar! I wouldn't say that he actually sounds a whole lot like any of those vocalists, but you at least get an idea of what kind of a ballpark he would land in. Make sense?

The songwriting on "YW&F" is, I believe, indicitive of a young band. Don't get me wrong, there are some real scorchers on this album, but (as the title suggests), this was a young bunch of musicians showcasing some of the earlier material they wrote. Compared with their second album, "Take a Deep Breath," the songs just seemed to lack a little depth. "TaDB" is, for me, almost a perfect album. It's a little lighter/less aggressive/more AOR (read: radio-friendly) than "YW&F," but IMO that's not a bad thing. It sounds like an album chock full of potential radio hits, in the same way that Def Lep's "Pyromania" and "Hysteria" were albums full of potential radio hits. In terms of heaviness and overall sound, picture a band playing somewhere between those two Def Lep albums and the first two Harem Scarem albums, and you'll have a good idea of what "TaDB" is like. My only complain about the album is that the leadoff track is (IMO) one of the weaker tracks on the album. I feel exactly the same way about Harem Scarem's "Karma Cleansing" album. Considering how much I like the album, though, and the fact that the leadoff track isn't a BAD song (it's just not a GREAT song), I guess I can't really complain too much. This album is essential listening for all MHR fans.

I have never been able to track down a copy of Brighton Rock's third and final album, "Love Machine." Apparently, it's sort of a cross between their first two sounds. It's supposed to be heavier/less radio-friendly than "TaDB," but more mature than "YW&F." It's VERY hard to find, though. (Anyone out there able to burn me a copy? I'd be happy to pay for it.)

As far as getting to hear the first two albums, though, email me and I'll set you up. You can also visit www.absound.ca to order a copy of "YW&F" cheap.

Hope this has been helpful. Take care.
Don

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
Brighton Rock 111Robert09/29/2000 12:00AM
RE: All you ever wanted to know about a great band81 Don 09/29/2000 02:04PM
RE: All you ever wanted to know about a great band 93Robert09/29/2000 09:53PM
RE: No sweat... 80 Don 09/29/2000 10:44PM
RE: No sweat... 86 FOOLZ 09/30/2000 01:01AM
RE: BR live, etc... 76 Don 09/30/2000 05:09AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.