GREAT WHITE R.I.P.
Posted by: sharkfist ()
Date: October 01, 2000 05:06PM

As a long time fan of Great White since 1986 (My Great White collection is well over 50 cds, import, promos, lps, etc.), I can not say I am really surprised or disappointed. After Mark Kendall left I had pretty much started to think funeral announcements were not too far off. It's a shame really because they used to be a great band, but ever since their acoustically flavoured album "Sail Away" they seemed to have lost their way and haven't seemed to get back on track.

I do have a theory as to decline of this once great band, no pun intended. In the earlier days, up until the "Sail Away" album, the driving force of Great White seemed to be a combination of producer Alan Niven, Jack Russell, Mark Kendall and Michael Lardie. Niven was given the boot after the "Sail Away" album and Kendall's level of contribution to the band's creative process seems to have been ebbing away each album since. Strange really when you consider that what most consider to be best Great White era "Once Bitten..." up until "Pyscho City", which were heavily Kendall inspired and penned albums (I particularly think "Once Bitten..." is their best). (Audie Desbrow also brings up this point in his rant at www.fishytales.com). So this brings us to the present day Great White situation. Jack Russell and Michael Lardie (apparently referred to as Jack Russell's mini-me in some circles) haven pretty much taken over all creative control of the band, from writing and recording to roster activity, since the "Sail Away" album. I think herein lies the problem. These two have basically thrown away 2 of the most important keys to their success: Alan Niven and Mark Kendall. What you now have is a watered down version of the once hard rock & blues based band. Anyone else searched the last 3 albums searching for a song that straight out rocks like some of the songs associated with one of their earlier earlier albums? I bet I'm not the only one.

In conclusion, I truly beleive the new Great White (94-present) pales in comparison to the old (87-92). Rather than buy the next album with the new watered down lineup I will probably be more inclined to check out Mark Kendall's new project "Train Station". Looks like he has a killer lineup of musicians (You can check it out at www.markkendall.com), and hopefully he still has some good licks and riffs left. Great White is officialy dead. R.I.P.

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
the Great White situation 127 Mrpool 09/26/2000 05:59AM
RE: the Great White situation 72 Kieran 09/26/2000 06:43AM
RE: the Great White situation 77 Carl 09/26/2000 07:00AM
RE: the Great White situation 83 Rocker Chic 09/27/2000 03:33AM
GREAT WHITE R.I.P.73 sharkfist 10/01/2000 05:06PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.