There May Be Hope for the Youngsters Yet!
Posted by: Rocker Chic ()
Date: September 26, 2000 05:09AM

Last Saturday night, I went to the REO Speedwagon/Styx show in Trenton, New Jersey. Behind me were 4 teenagers about 16-18 years old. I overheard them pondering whether REO or Styx were going to go on first, so (already knowing the answer judging by the stage setup) I told them that it was REO. This struck up a conversation about these bands as well as other classic rock acts.

Turns out that these kids had been listening mostly to House and Rap a few years ago. One of the kids' mother had obtained tickets to a Pink Floyd show a while back and asked him if he was interested in going with her. He dismissed her offer saying, "what the heck would he want to see them for?" Sometime later, he overheard someone playing Pink Floyd's "The Wall" and was so amazed by it that he asked him who it was. Ever since then, he has become a *huge* Pink Floyd/Roger Waters fan. (Couldn't stop talking about how great they are.)

We were soon throwing around more talk of Styx and REO, as well as the likes of Black Sabbath, Kansas, Foreigner, Journey (said this was one of the best concerts -- The Vacation's Over Tour -- that he had ever seen), Led Zepplin, The Black Crowes, etc. I was stunned that these kids were so into this music. They said that they don't like the music that other kids their age mostly listen to because, to them, it sounds mass-produced, generic, or shows little to no talent or originality. They have found themselves scooping up all of the classic rock that they can get their hands on.

They weren't very impressed with REO's set (neither am I, but then again, I've seen so many of the co-headlining tour this past year, that I've OD'ed on REO and I never was much of a fan in the first place). Said that REO lacked energy and Kevin Cronin talked way too much. I was unable to get their reaction of the Styx set because one of my friend's was able to find me a seat on the floor and I ended up in the 6th row. I wish that I could have found them later to get their impression, because I felt that Styx had a much more powerful and entertaining show.

So, maybe the youth of today is coming around. Labels, if you're listening, go get 'em and reel 'em in! :-D

Rocker Chic

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
There May Be Hope for the Youngsters Yet!152 Rocker Chic 09/26/2000 05:09AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.