RE: Geez/Honeymoon Suite/my latest book...
Posted by: Don ()
Date: September 26, 2000 02:34PM

...given my current state of mind, I'm amazed that anyone would consult me on anything. That said, hello R.C., and here's what I'd think you need to know:

Like Kurt said, aside from having the same initials and being Canucks, they have little in common with Harem Scarem (well, I guess there may be some similarities between Honeymoon Suite and Harem Scarem's s/t debut, but that'd still be a bit of a stretch). Honeymoon Suite fit somewhere between, say the Loverboy/Foreigner sound that Kurt mentioned and perhaps, at their heaviest, some of Hardline's stuff. The thing is, their albums do vary quite a bit in terms of heaviness. The first album was kinda like arena rock in the vein of Bryan Adams. Personally, I could almost imagine B.A. performing some of the tunes from that s/t debut album. They're simple and just sound like '80s radio staples. Their second album, "The Big Prize," had a much bigger, lusher, fuller sound. Overall (and with the exception of the Bon Jovi-like leadoff track, "Bad Attitude"), the music seemed to me a little lighter and perhaps more keyboard-driven. My favorite Honeymoon Suite ballad, "What Does it Take" is found on this album. "Racing After Midnight," their third album, had a much heavier, more guitar-driven sound. I'd say that if you're looking for their album that would be the closest match to Harem Scarem-type material, this'd be the one to get. In addition to containing my favorite track of theirs ("Love Changes Everything") it also contains the theme song to the blockbuster movie "Lethal Weapon."

Since posting my question here, I have learned that their "Singles" compilation is made up of tracks from these three albums, as well as two bonus tracks (including "Still Loving You," the track I was asking about). It's a pretty good compilation, and would give you a great idea as to whether or not you like this band's sound.

Their fourth album is called "Monsters Under the Bed," and, although it was released in '91, I just bought it in August. I'm not sure why I waited that long to get this gem, but I wish I wouldn't have waited so long. I love it! To these ears, it sounds like a mixture of the sounds & styles on their first three albums. IMO, the songwriting is very strong.

So, before this thing turns into a book (I know, too late!), let me finish by saying this: They're not as heavy as Harem Scarem, but if that doesn't scare you off (ie., if you enjoy music that's perhaps a little heavier than say, Foreigner), you should give this band a try. Their songs are catchy, typical '80s-style radio-friendly arena rock/AOR/melodic hard rock. Lead singer Johnnie Dee has a strong, pretty distinctive, and crystal-clear voice (and a decent range). People I know who have seen them in concert have commented that their musicianship is also pretty tight. To hear soundbytes, I'd recommend going to A & B Sound's website (www.absound.ca) and looking up the band's catalogue. They have Real Audio samples of a lot of music at that site, so you can probably hear at least a few samples there (I think there are some from "The Big Prize"). Also, their four studio albums are VERY cheap there (I believe they're around $5 U.S., and that's for BRAND NEW CDs!!). With prices like that, you can probably afford to gamble a bit. On the other hand, I'd be more than happy to put together a sampler tape for you, if you want. Just email me.

Hope this has helped. Over and out.
Don
(Canuck Rawk Consultant Extraordinaire) LOL

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
HELP!/I heard this song... 178 Don 09/25/2000 02:47PM
RE: HELP!/I heard this song... 116 sfk kurt 09/25/2000 08:24PM
RE: HELP!/I heard this song... 143 Rocker Chic 09/26/2000 02:24AM
RE: HELP!/I heard this song... 118 sfk kurt 09/26/2000 06:00AM
RE: Geez/Honeymoon Suite/my latest book...123 Don 09/26/2000 02:34PM
RE: Geez/Honeymoon Suite/my latest book... 105Peter M. Bietenholz09/26/2000 03:41PM
RE: Geez/Honeymoon Suite/my latest book... 94 sfk kurt 09/26/2000 11:43PM
Are you talking about "13 Live"? 91Peter M. Bietenholz09/27/2000 08:27PM
RE: Are you talking about "13 Live"? 133 sfk kurt 09/27/2000 11:34PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.