RE: 2001: A melodicrock Odyssey?
Posted by: Kieran ()
Date: September 09, 2000 08:10PM

Hi SP , Personally I don't think this will be the case.I think it will very much be a suck it and see scenario with the majors .They will want to see
(A) how the tour sells
(b) how the albums sell
(c) what type of person is buying them
Remember the Rock never Stops tour in 1998 , the Poison tour in 99 , the Scorpions/Crue in 99 , Styx/Reo in 2000 and the Power to the People tour in 2000 aere all big sellers in terms of attendances but everybody failed to deliver cd sales big enough to justify all the majors (or even one) rushing to sign any new (or old) aor/melodic rock acts.There is no doubt that the climate has become far more friendly to aor over the past two years but I don't believe Journey , Van Halen or Bon Jovi will spark a revoultion.Very simply these bands along with Aerosmith , Styx, Foreigner , Metallica , stc. all have established followings who will buy their records no matter what and the record execs know that.What we do need is a young band to kick it off......Buckcherry are not a million miles from what we need....a few more like that and something could happen.Also the albums by these bands are coming out at huge intervals.To make the record execs take notice we need a few releases together or in a similar 6month time frame all selling well convincing them there is still a scene with a lot of fans out there willing to buy product.....It is however encouraging to see Sony at lease willing to give Kalodner the money to start Portrait , although so far his choices of band have let him down (Pearcy quitting Ratt and Kendall quitting Great White).In other areas , WEA owned label Mystic (a hard rock division ) has been wound up so obviously the label heads have no faith in this division.So basically the aor /hard rock scene is stagnant as regards major label interest andit will continue to be until somebody starts having some success.I can only think if Kalodner deliveres a few big selling albums (by whatever band) the other labels will want a piece of the action and react by signing their own aor/hard rock bands....until then Ithink they may well keep one eye on the successful 'indie' aor labels and if there is any improvement in the market place swallow them up and concentrate on their most successful acts ....but also as we all know we need radio and TV exposure to turn a whole new generation on to aor/melodic rock and it's a catch22 ....no tv/radio ...no exposure....no exposure ..no sales......something has to give ,and I can't suddenly see MTV playing Ten/Poison/Dannt Danzi/House of Lords or whoever ...can you?The new crop of Americana which you yourself seem to like, Marv3 , Neve, Soaked etc can hopefully continue to do well and then somewhere down the line we may see bands reverting back to aor....remember there is a whole new generation out there that has never really head aor and to them it will be something new and maybe it will strike a chord with them thus putting aor back on the map...sorry for the long winded rant but as much as I personally would love to see the return of aor/melodic rock into the main stream I can't see it happening quite yet...............but I am hopeful for the future.........cheers....Kieran

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

SubjectViewsWritten ByPosted
2001: A melodicrock Odyssey? 129Surfpunk09/09/2000 05:15AM
RE: 2001: A melodicrock Odyssey?120 Kieran 09/09/2000 08:10PM
RE: 2001: A melodicrock Odyssey? 129SP09/10/2000 08:55AM
RE: 2001: A melodicrock Odyssey? 91 Kieran 09/10/2000 10:04AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.